TDC locater

ETH/DEE

Fick mich
I'm in the midst of finishing my brothers conversion and would like to make a really nice TDC locator. When I did my conversion I made a pointer and marked my balancer as best I could, but its primitive and probably not very accurate. Any ideas, pictures, or suggestions would be appreciated.

As novice as this sounds... whats the best way to find TDC? I dont fully understand the valve drop method. When I started disassembling my brother motor I simply lined up the TDC mark on the VP gear and timing cover as best I could.

Thanks, Aaron

i would say the best way to find TDC is with a dial indicator. Certainly would be the most accurate i'd think.

If you know how to find TDC properly with a dial (not just cranking it until the dial stops and calling it TDC), you can do the drop valve method. You are just marking the damper at equal distances from TDC based on equal dial readings. The middle of those two marks is TDC. Same applies for the drop valve method, only difference is you are reading off the valve, instead of directly off the piston.

I made a pointer that bolts to my oil pan and marked the damper. I made a slot in it thats the width of a zipcut blade (.045"), and scribed the damper. This is on a fluid damper, which marks really easy, looked good.

I machined a piece of aluminum bar stock so it looked like a blank injector with a long tip.

you can replace one of your front cover bolts with a longer bolt. Use a nut and lockwasher on the threads to hold the cover on. Also if you wish, you can grind the bolt head down to a point.

Thanks guys. Think I know what im gonna do. When you all use a dial indicator, is the indicator touching the top of the piston? I wish there was some visual aids for this procedure.LOL

Just drop the valve down so it rests on the piston and put the indicator on top of the valve.

Back