temp question

tarter6bt

broke ass
here lately its been cold as a well diggers ass around here 30* and under. i just put my motor together over the summer, so its a fresh motor to say the least. mods are in sig. anyway it doesnt blow hot air like it should warm yes but hot not hardly. my dash temp gauge will not go over 140-150 and thats running 75-80 for the 30 mile drive home. i checked my fluid in radiator its fine. when i got home tonight the radiator was cold to the touch like it would be after sitting all night and i can pop the cap off with no pressure. i changed the sendin unit thinking the gauge wasnt workin still no help. so what im askin why is the truck running so cold?

any help be greatfull

tarter

sounds like your thermostat is sticking open. I had the same issue with my 99 last winter, put a new thermostat in and it climbs to 190 degrees before it starts cycling now.

NakeDiesel

i thinking the same thing but wanted to make sure. when we first fired the motor and let it run it would run a person out in a heart beat it was so hot in the cab

yeah should be the thermostat, my truck was doin the same thing i replaced it and it works now

tarter... you might also look at putting some small pieces of cardboard in between the intercooler and radiator... help it warm up faster...

Im gonna order one tomorrow. Who's got the best, Cummins, oreilys, autozone, whom? Mike I might try it if the thermostat doesn't help

i just went autozone, works fine for me haha and it was a good price

Ok. Better than i figured. Looks like the truck will get brakes and thermostat this weekend

a thermostat from autozone is under 20 bucks, best way to make sure it works is to stick the thermostat in a small pot with some water, turn on the hear and you should see it open and then when you pull it out it will close, do this to your old one too, just to make sure that your thermostat was really the problem

there are two seals in the housing, and when i looked around and asked, apparently you cant get them anymore, so just make sure to use high temp rtv on the mating surfaces to the head and the housing and youll be fine.

GEDC0981.jpg

I also got the seals from Napa while I was replacing stuff. I used Napa part number 532090 thermostat and drilled a 1/16" hole on the flat surface to help keep tempature swing to a minimum.

hmm this has me wordering if my thermostat is taking a crap on me i have the same symtoms as the op but im in -30 and cant get over 150 and the heat never gets hot just warm

thermostat is $30 from cummins and its a way better one than the autozone stuff, plus they have the gaskets in stock as well. i've had issues out of the parts store ones.

I got one from Cummins as well. Didn't take no time to change out. Now this thing will burn you out. Very nice now. The thermostat was the issues for sure.

Back