testing Injectors

dangerous06

diesel tech
What is available on the market to do a cylinder cut out test/ contribution test? Hate to take it to the dealer to find out which injector is bad!

Forgive my common rail ignorance but couldn't you disconnect the wiring harness one at a time?

I'm just guessing here so don't kill me.

Forgive my common rail ignorance but couldn't you disconnect the wiring harness one at a time?

I'm just guessing here so don't kill me.

Well it'd work for at least 3 at a time by at least removing the big plug from harness gasket lol.

Can you pull the injectors and look for excessive carbon on the tips? Had a puck slip one time on my old truck and the carbon was the easiest way to pinpoint quickly.

Snap-on scan tool or equivalent will do it. I'm not sure if a CTS2 will do a individual cylinder test or just test the 2 or 3 banks of injectors. Best way to test is send them off to be tested. You can also ohm the solenoid out to see if it failed electrically. Good Luck!

Most any half decent scan tool can. Or you can cap the rail one line at a time until the bad inj is found. Some injection shops have them and will loan them out for free. They can also be purchased numerous places online for about $50

You can run it with the valve cover off and remove a wire from each injector one at a time. I have done it this way. Kinda the long way to do it but it works.

I ran it found #4 bad replaced it and now it won't start! LOL LOL Wonder if I screwed up the cross over tube in my speed R/R Guess darkness won!

Back