Thanks to everyone that made the Comp D Race a success!

Timbeaux

Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
First of all, the staff here at Comp D wants to congratulate all those who came out to compete at the First Annual Competition Diesel.com Invitational. Without you guys there would not be a show for us to watch. We also want to thank NADM for bringing the manpower out to run such a great event.

Wow, what a weekend we had. It was great to see all the old faces and to meet new ones as well. Thursday night was great, getting to hang out with the “Poo Crew” and the guys from NADM. It is funny to watch Yankees eye fried catfish, pickled onions, and turnip greens like some of those guys did. I’m glad to see that they at least got to experience the local Alabama cuisine.

Friday began on a bit of a bummer with my starter taking a poo, but a quick trip to the parts store, and expert handy work by Billysgoat got me fixed in no time. Foe those of you who don’t know, Billy might be the handiest person on the planet…. I would take Billy into battle on any DIY project on the planet…..the boy has skills. Anyway, after that little hiccup, we got to sit back and watch as everyone showed up and got situated for the Friday night Test n’ Tune. The gasser trash about had a heart attack at all of the diesels on hand. I have been at Steele on plenty of Friday nights, and have never seen the pits that full. Thanks to Meacham Evans, Mickey Davis, and Phil Taylor for making some laps for the crowd. I’m sure they had no idea that those stinky diesel trucks could click off 10’s like it was their job. I also wanna thank John Robinson and the Texas Diesel Power crew for making some laps for the crowd Friday night as well, the locals dug that funnycar. Darren Morrison…… What can I say? Not only did he make a lap Friday night for the fans, but had some tranny trouble and thrashed all morning Saturday to put on a show….. that is awesome. We all owe Darren and the Pro-Street Diesel crew a beer or 2 next time out. Friday night also was also a night that had everyone in the area talking about how quick a diesel rail was over breakfast. Thanks to Dan, Bo, and the Scheid crew for showing the gasser trash what a 7.11 second pass looks like. It was cool to watch everyone’s reaction when Bo took off. Most folks had eyes as big as Silver Dollars after his run. Friday night was also the unveiling of the CompD “Barfcart” Thanks to Lewis Preston, we now cruise the pits in style. For those of you who have not seen our golfcart in it’s current form, it has lighting by ColorStorm, an awesome stereo system by SAS, and general cool factor thanks to Lewis and his company, The Electrical Connection. The underbody lighting was a huge hit at the track this weekend. I wanna thank all the Comp D members that came out Friday as well. It was a great time meeting and socializing with everyone.

Saturday morning came pretty early (not really, but when you go to bed after 2:00, waking up before noon is early) and pulling in to the track, I was amazed at the folks there to race. The pits were packed when I arrived, and we were not slated to make laps until 2:00!!! I had a chance to cruise through the pits and see some folks and chat about the days events, and I knew that some of our competitors were ready to try and make some new personal bests. After I ate my weight in hamburgers preparing for the afternoon’s events, I grabbed a seat up in the booth and started calling trucks to the lanes. Qualifying went very well, and it was apparent that the staff at Alabama international Dragway had prepared a surface that was capable of holding whatever we wanted to throw at it. New personal bests for Ty Maitland and Matt Wells came in qualifying. Congrats guys!

For those that don’t know, the track manager is an IHRA Pro-Stock Competitor and also competes in an alcohol dragster………… Jason knows how to put teeth in a track.

After qualifying, Angela ripped off yet another spot-on rendition of the national anthem and it was time to go racing. The ET Bracket class sponsored by Dr. Performance was loaded with veterans and some folks new to bracket racing. It was a blast to watch and announce, the Quick Diesel class sponsored by TS Performance was one of the best classes to watch all day long. For those that don’t know, the QD class Saturday was loaded with some of the best 12.0 diesel index racers in the country. Bruce Block, Jim “Lucky Dog” Laden, Matt Wells and Joel Greathouse were on hand to make some laps, and had it not been for a bit of differential trouble, Mike Dillehay would have been there too. Mike had to run his truck in 2wd, traction limited mode in the ET class. Air Werks Unlimited Street was a class packed with big names. A few teams were not able to make it up because they were chasing gremlins around the garage, but those that did had their stuff set on “kill.” My folks had never seen trucks like that before, and Mom and dad told me that they “Had no idea diesel trucks could do that!” After 1st round, I looked towards the staging lanes and saw Dave Radzirez crab-walking the Hushpower Monster Truck down the staging lanes. I think he made a few competitors nervous coming down through there….that thing is HUGE! Dave made a few laps over some junk cars and whipped the crowd into a frenzy! To say it is impressive is an understatement. It is just flat out awesome. We want to send out a big THANKS to Dave for bringing the truck out to play. It is AWESOME to see it run!

Shortly after the Hushpower monster truck, it was time to let Lewis Preston and Danny Elmore duke it out in the first ever Comp D Big wheel run for fun-race for the cure-big wheel Deathmatch. Louie took round one, and after some heavy negotiation for lengths afterwards, Danny was able to start round 2 with about a 10 length advantage. Louie armed the super-trick “warp speed” system on Buzzed Lightyear, and made up the ground on Danny very quickly, but Louie got out of the groove on the big end, and Danny closed the gap Louie had up real fast. At the stripe, after a small crash, Louie came out the victor and was crowned World Champion of the CDBWDMS (Comp D Big wheel Deatmatch) Series.

As the sun fell over the track, you could feel the anticipation for not only the remaining rounds, but for that little red S-10 and that Black rail to come out and play. In tht Black Widow Diesel-Sponsored Pro-Stock and Top Diesel classes. The track staff put a prep on the track that would make the NHRA gang jealous. As Bo pulled up to the line, you could cut the electricity in the air with a knife. When he launched, there was not a person there that was not cheering for him. When we saw the number, everyone went nuts. It was truly a VERY special moment, and it was great to see Dan, Bo and crew reach a goal that they had worked so long to get to. Congrats guys.

Next up was Cairo Georgia’s own Darren Morrison in his little red S-10 Darren laid down a super quick pass that got the crowd fired up even more in anticipation of the last few rounds and the finals. As the field got smaller, we saw some names still on the ladder that had not been there in the past along with some names we were used to seeing. David Elrod (BigSwole) was in his first bracket race and made it to the Semi-Finals! In the Dr. Performance ET class, but lost in the semis putting Joel greathouse and Kevin Merideth into the finals. . Joel Greathouse and Brian “Poodot” Carter made up the finals for the TS Performance Quick Diesel class, and The Finals for the AirWerks Unlimited street class had Kevin Merideth in the TS Performance “Caged Fury” Dodge against Phil “The Thrill” Taylor in his very own Jeff Garmon tuned Dodge.

Kevin Merideth was able to squeak out a win against Joel Greathouse, winning the Dr. Performance ET bracket class. Congrats Kevin! This was the first bracket win for Kevin on 24 inch rims! Joel Greathouse was looking to get a 1st place trophy too, and was able to beat out Brian “Poodot” Carter in the TS Performance QD final. It was great to see Joel take his 2nd QD win in a row in just as many events. He will be a force to be reckoned with this year no doubt. And Congrats to Poodot as well for reaching the final in his first QD event ever. The AirWerks Unlimited Street final was great, the advantage off the line belonged to Phil Taylor, but by the 330’ Kevin Merideth had pulled even, a mechanical problem for Kevin caused “Caged Fury” to slow, handing the win over to Phil Taylor for his First victory in only his second entry into the AirWerks Unlimited street class.

We want to thank all of the sponsors that made this event a great success:
ET bracket Sponsor: Dr. Performance
Quick diesel Sponsor: TS Performance
Unlimited Street Sponsor: Air Werks
Pro-Stock and Top Diesel Sponsor: Black Widow Diesel
Along with:
Garmon’s Diesel
Spruill Farms
Suncoast Converters
PowerstrokeNation.com
Greg Hogue’s Motorsportssupply.com
TCI
Cyclone Diesel Performance
Dominator Diesel
CNSMOKE Performance
Silverline Exhaust
Cedar City Diesel
James O’Neal Dodge.
And HD Fabrication

Comp D also wants to personally think NADM and their staff for making this event happen. You guys rock!

:thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2::thankyou2:

Thank you Tim and everyone involved!!!!!! Job well Done!!!!!!!

I had a blast and can't wait to do it again!!!!!! I'm hooked now after my first race!!

you are KILLING me! LOL

Lemmie catch my breath first and thanks for supporting the race Chris!

I dont know if my body(or liver) could handle 2 weeks of that much fun in a Row. LOL

David, awesome job this weekend. I had to convince Dennis Perry that you had never bracket raced before LOL He could not believe it!

Matt, Congrats on a new personal best. It is cool to see an old 12v with a single turbo and no spray drive 500 miles one way, run an 11.50 and drive back home. :woohoo:

Ditto!!!!!!!!! :Cheer:
01:33 PM
turbomatt1 I'm free next weekend...Lets do another one then!

come to texas may 31st

don't have a purse but should will be some good times racing for charity

odra event there is a thread here somewhere

I dont know if my body(or liver) could handle 2 weeks of that much fun in a Row. LOL

David, awesome job this weekend. I had to convince Dennis Perry that you had never bracket raced before LOL He could not believe it!

QUOTE]

Thanks Tim....It was awesome.....Yes it was my first time and it was a blast... I did learn not to let someone talk me into swaping races at the last min in staging, maybe costing me a shot at the final...But, that's my fault for not knowing....That's ok though, I had fun doing it and making it to the semi's...Looking forward to the next race...I'm hooked!!

Always a great bunch of folks.:rockwoot:.........even the little boy in blue.:hehe:

I'd like to thank Tim and Phil for the site and all their dedication. We wanted it......and you guys made it happen! This site is fast becoming a foundation for Diesel Motorsports!

I had a blast. It was so worth the mind and butt numbing 11hr trip there. Thanks so much yall for putting this on. I can't wait till next year.

I had a blast. It was so worth the mind and butt numbing 11hr trip there. Thanks so much yall for putting this on. I can't wait till next year.

Did I ever meet you?? I know I met several new folks but not sure if I remember a Tyler.....

it was a great time Tim. Thanks for everything. I assume it was you that coordinated most of the event.... way to go man !!

You said it all in your post for sure. Thanks for the mention too :)

Thank you Tim and Phil and all Comp D Staff, you guys rocked. This was just an awesome first event. Y'all tryin to give TS some competition huh? Next year, throw in a sled pull!!

Thanks Tim and to everyone else that made this race a success! I had a great time and I can't wait for next year!

thanks to all for a great event and lots of fun!! definetely be here next year or hopefully in august...

Back