The 6.0 gasser sound

CumminAtYa

Looking for a megacab
I've always thought that the Duramax (some of them at least), 6.0 and 7.3 have gasser type exhaust notes at wide open throttle when straight piped, but the 6.0's is the most prominent. Is there a specific reason that it sounds like that?

my best guess is they are all V8's maybe?
i don't know....

All those are V8's. Every V8 diesel Ive heard (pickups, semis, construction) have that almost a miss sound to the exhaust. I have not heard a 2 stroke detroit v8 make that sound.

I wonder the specific reason the 4 stroke V8's have that note in their exhaust also.

I was thinking that too, that it's a V8. But, why would the V configuration produce that kind of sound? Or is it just the cylinder/head/piston design, or what?

6.0l sounds like a baby 3208 cat. after opening mine up I learned that. I think, its the way the exhaust pulses merge/ go through at turbo.

V8 is def. the main reason but I bet it has something to do with smaller combustion area too...two extra holes but close to the same displacement....

Hmm...who knows!!! The BANKS truck sounds WAY to much like a Gasser!!!

I didn't used to like the V8 diesel sound, but it has grown on me....But, im stickin with my I-6 though!!

I have always wonder what a set of balanced symmetrical headers would do for a 6.0

The drivers side fires 2 4 6 8. But the passenger side doesn't fire in order. 1 5 3 7. It just needs the order fixed. I made a post for firing order about this.

Back