The Coolest Swap In The History of Ever.

Matther

This will be my project thread. I am no expert nor am I the guy with a spendable income. What I am getting at is, this will be a long project so don't expect pics up every week. :doh:

Now here is my goal yes.

1944 Ford 1 1/2 ton Dually plus a DT466 equals :rockwoot:

I am in the process of getting the original parts back in shape to at least have it drivable. Once that is complete I can start doing a swap. I have been looking for an old International box truck or school bus for the running gear. I think it will be easier to swap all the running gear then upgrade from there. Rather than find all the parts you don't have.

Like I have mentioned this is going to take time and I am open for any advice.

DT466 = large. 44 Ford = small. Have fun sitting on the valve cover.

Seriously though, a DT466 is 4'x3'x4' - a DT360 is close in size to a 6BT Cummins and would be a much better fit and cheap too. I have seen several running DT360 frame cuts with trans for $1500 or whole busses for 2k.

Before I type up a post on why this wont work, what is getting changed other than the engine/trans?

Screw the weight, think about the length of it and the radiator sizing vs the truck.

Radiator could always be put behind the cab under the bed floor. Put it at a a slight angle from horizontal and build a few air scoops in front of it....Just have to place a filler neck under the hood slightly above the engine, and may take a while to fill. Or may be able to use an industrial radiator from a Dozer (D3 Cat for example) to put up front depending on how far back he wants the engine into the cab. Non intercool it possibly. Honestly it is very do-able. Just gotta be creative. Nothing else, stretch the frontend to minimize cutting the firewall. The sky is the limit really.

Last edited:
a stretched nose and cowl is the way to go my 12v with rad/intercooler still sits a whole cyl inside the cab on my 39 dodge and thats with out a stretch just all smashed in there. custom radiator and single sided intercooler turned vertical.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
After fabbing brake and accelerator pedals for my Model A and then sitting in it this weekend, I will tell you, leg room is going to be a serious concern. Even if you plan to strech the hood. I stretched the front on my Model A 11 inches to get the 6BT to fit. The size of the transmission was not something I had considered until it was to late.

Just keep the transmission in mind as you are setting everything up. There is not a lot of room in those cabs. I guess people were a lot smaller back then. The hoop for my roll bar is 48 inches from inside to inside. Doesn't seems so bad till you get it bent up and see it....

:On edit: I can give you a picture of the inside to give you an idea of what I mean....

Attachments

• WP_20140126_003.jpg
    WP_20140126_003.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well I am not a big guy. But I will say this. If it was easy everyone would do it, right. I know this will be a challenge. That makes the project more fun. :D I appreciate the responses. I got a good chuckle.

I'd definitely stretch the hood, and the cowl. Make it a extended hood. The Old Trucks a re real small I have a 1950 Willys cab for one of my projects and its tight stock. If i extend the cowl I'll have more leg room but its a tight cab. Post pictures up, keep the thread going and tell us what you plan to do with the chassis?.. most of the old trucks the frames are weak..i'd look at using the cab and extended hood on a different chassis.. to get bigger brakes, and improved axles etc...
Thanks,
Deo

Back