The first to 300 miles per hour

Fahlin Racing

Since it was in the 90s, 40 years after NHRA started their 1st 300 happened. How long will it be before the diesel powered rig will roll on past 300? if it happens. It may just entail more exotic diesel engine designs.

:drive:

the hp and torque are there to do it, just need the gearing to translate to tire rpm

More engine rpm or one hell of a lot of gearing experimentation.

the hp and torque are there to do it, just need the gearing to translate to tire rpm

I hate to be a downer but we are far from the required hp to run 300 mph anytime soon. Top alcohol cars aren't even running 300 mph yet. Some may argue that they are very close (284.75 is the current record I believe) but gaining 15 mph is not easy at all. Others may argue that the diesels have loads more torque than an alcohol car. That's fine but has anyone made that kind of torque at 8,000-10,000 rpm? I'm all for diesel innovation but it will require advances in diesel technology. I think it is in the future and am excited to see it happen but I don't foresee it in the next few years.

Surely we aren't talking about 300 MPH in a standing quarter mile, Scheid still needs to break that elusive 230 MPH mark. If we're talking about land speed records, the current diesel powered land speed record is 350 MPH and was set back in 2006.

On 13 August 2006, after several days spent re-assembling and re-testing the car, the Dieselmax made its first official run on the Bonneville Salt Flats as part of Speed Week, eventually attaining an average speed of 317 miles per hour (510 km/h) to take the SCTA-BNI event record for an 'AA/DS' Diesel Streamliner.

On 22 August 2006, after being re-fitted with 750 brake horsepower (560 kW) 'LSR' versions of the JCB444 engines,[1] the JCB Dieselmax car broke the official FIA diesel engine land speed record, attaining a speed of 328.767 mph (529 km/h). 24 hours later the JCB Dieselmax car broke its own record, achieving a speed of 350.092 mph (563.418 km/h) over a distance of 1 mile[1] on 23 August 2006.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_Dieselmax"]JCB Dieselmax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Pro mods are going 273 with over 4k HP. For that same car to go over 300 it would take at least 1K more ponies if not more.

So for a diesel rail to overcome the 300 mark it would at least take over 6k HP. Top fuel broke 300 25 yrs ago and was estimated at 8k HP (who knows what the actual numbers were). Takes a lot of power to go that fast for sure.

Maybe someday we'll get there, may take awhile but it can be done. :)

272.5 but who's counting? LOL

That was some good racing that weekend with those boys and Frankie.

wait, to be clear here, we talkin an actual race, or test and tune? rofl, waiting for others to do the same

IIRC curtis halvorson went 352 or some crazy MPH with one duramax engine like 5 + years ago. it was called the mormon missile.

Not the same team mentioned here i dont think.

I don't think the 300 mark is obtainable in my lifetime but there's enough hp right now to get into the 5's ... hp management is the new frontier of diesel drag racing. That excludes Greg , he doesn't make enough power for it to really matter.:hehe:

I don't think the 300 mark is obtainable in my lifetime but there's enough hp right now to get into the 5's ... hp management is the new frontier of diesel drag racing. That excludes Greg , he doesn't make enough power for it to really matter.:hehe:

I think it is possible to get in the fives for sure!

Back