Thinkin of buyin a 96 obs psd need a lil help

Hagan

STROKIN
i found a 96 powerstroke 4x4 auto supercab with 155k i know these motors run forever i was wondin about the tranny are they good or are they like a dodge of these years (crappy) it seems to shift good but its like it takes a lil longer to shift in to od. The truck has a nice set of wheels and tires but everything elese is bone stock (it still has the muffler) they want 6995 but i have a 98 z71 with 194k ext cab 4x4 i am gonna trade and give them 3600 boot does this sound like a pretty good deal? and like i said it has 155k on it i belive this truck will be ok.

Go for it man!! I've got a 97 QCSB with 346k on it and it runs like a top and never had a valve cover off. Just keep good oil in it. As for the transmission......the best way to get it to last is to either chip or program it. Even the tow setting on a programmer will make it shift a little firmer making it last much longer. Had a BANKS shift module on mine and didn't have to put a tranny in until 275k. I'll never sell this truck.

yea i went a head and got it , it has a lil rust above the rear fenders im gonna fix that with fender flares and it does need a chip or programmer its a lil sluggish , i put a k&n filter on it today and cut the muffler gettin ready for a 5 inch black stack, the truck is dark green with black and chrome armerican wheels so i figured black would look good. i am gonna rebuild the tranny with either ATS parts and converter or suncoast cuz i have a 3 year warrenty with the truck that covers the tranny motor and drivetrain so hopefully i can do that but anyways it seems to be a good truck but it does leak a lil oil, a guy that has owned about 3 of them trucks say they all do so....

Leaks oil from where? Most don't just leak oil... Atleast mine didn't unless something was wrong

looks like rear main or oil pan i dunno im gonna have it checked out, it isnt using any oil i keep it checked

Could be O-rings on the HPOP, or turbo Pedistal, Oil Galley Plugs leaking.. When they leak they tend to come off the tranny looking like a rear main

turbo pedistal is a bad place to have oil leak if it completly lets go u could lose turbo

Not to mention....it's a serious pain in the a-- to fix. That's where mine was leaking. Could also be the fuel pump gasket; check the valley and see if it's dry or not. If it's wet all the way to the front of the valley, it's probably a HPOP seal, if it's wet in the back under the turbo, it's either turbo pedistal or fuel pump gasket. If it's not wet at all in the valley, wipe your hand across the back of each cylinder head and you'll feel the galley plug and see if oil is coming from there. You could also get under the truck and trace the oil up to the top of the bellhousing.....that would tell you right off the bat whether or not it's coming from up top.

Last edited:
Could also be fuel from the valley leaking down and looks like oil. All mine with over 200K never leaked oil.

Tobin

Back