thinking about buying a duramax

greencummins

So Im selling my cummins and switching to either a commonrail cummins, or a duramax, or a regluar gas truck. As far as the duramaxs, it would probably be an LLY because of my budget, so whats the low down on these motors? do they still have injector problems? Im talking 04 and 05s. How are they on fuel? its going to be a relatively stock truck, maybe exhaust and a chip down the road. please let me know,

thanks guys

LLY's are good motors. No injector problems. Some people say they are more prone to headgasket failure, but in my opinion they aren't. my father owns a 2005 LLY egr still operating and it has had a 100hp superchip tune on it for 230,000 miles of its 234,xxx mile life. Still on the original brakes, and he has replaced the water pump once at 211,000. Other than that water pump it's never had a single hiccup. Runs damn good for just having a little tune on it. 17-18 mpg city.

Our LLY test truck has had the immortal **** run out of it and is still on the stock headgaskets and injectors. Some LLY truck have overheating issues when towing heavy, but that can be fixed by addressing the EGR. Overall they are good trucks.

Only real bad thing I can say about the lly is the injector wiring issues but they can be easily fixed or avoided

Basically what happens is the wires rub around where the valve cover is and creates I guess u could cause electrical noise an makes the truck run like shiit you can insulate the wires apart from each other which usually fixes it I've had to do it on a few trucks

all good info, thanks guys, what is involved as far as EGR deletes (or do I not even have to do it)

Ehhh I'm more partial to Lbz but I think lmm Is my favorite and probly the easiest to work on

As far as egr deletes go there pretty easy, make sure that ypu use an lb7 up pipe or aftermarket instead of the block off plate trust me you will thank you're self it's not all that hard to do the rest of the delete is pretty easy

My LLY has been great. I have don't much to it yet. Just a evolution with the CS. It already dual exhaust and the air box on it. It pulls our toy hauler great even with the lift.

Lb7 is a great engine everyone knows there the best for all out competition .. Having owned one and working on them I'd prefer not to have one again but other than the injector problems that truck was an Effn hoss and never ever left me stranded anywhere

LLYs are definitely more prone to headgasket failures, but its seemingly more among trucks that tow heavy and the medium duty trucks than tuned/hot rodded trucks.

The issue with the LLY injector harness is more the plugs than actual wire rub through. They make an updated harness, most guys seem to get by with the "ice pick" fix. If you google Ice Pick fix you should find some reading on the subject.

My father has a 05 lly and myself and brother both have lbz's. My fathers truck runs great only thing I don't like about them is the injectors are a little louder and it turns more rpm going down the road. Bit that is only because I'm used to my lbz and 6 speed. My lbz has taken more of a beating than I thought it ever would, its been at 500hp for 2 years and almost 500 for a year before that and she is still on a stock trans with 108,000 on it.

Selling my cummins and getting an LB7 was the best move I ever made. The LLY is a good engine and should be pretty trouble free

Back