Thinking about getting my first 6.7, need help

fast_stang_88

Well I have had a bunch of 5.9s thru the years and I have been thinking about getting a newer truck. I was thinking maybe an 08-10 model.

Since I am a totall newbie with these engines point me in the right direction, is there a year to stay away from, known issues with them that I need to address or keep and eye out when I look for one.

Also how is the auto trans in them? I do a lot of heavy pulling and I have had a manual trans in all of my trucks but I have been kicking around the idea of getting an auto. Can they hold up to 32-36k gross weights or should I just stick with the g56.

Thanks guys for all the help.

my boss has an 08 with the 68rfe he bought new. regularly tows very heavy with it and is known to have lead foot. only problem he had was a turbo and it has 85k miles on it now

If the truck is staying stock the 68RFE will be just fine. The issues with these trucks are usually head gaskets due to the amount of cylinder pressure, the VG turbo and the trans if guys mod the truck and really beat on it in 5th and 6th. The Nav system screen will die on you too. Overall I think they are great trucks. I would never go back to a 5.9 after owning my 6.7.

Also remember if you get the G56 a clutch will be a must very quickly, theyre not very good.

I hear you on that, my 1st 05 was a freak I got 205k on the factory clutch and it was pretty much loaded from day one! I was like if it lasted that good I will use it again, didnt get but 60k out of that one.

Same with my 06 I have now, I am almost to 200k on my 2nd clutch and I am just about ready for the 3rd.

I was right there with ya a month ago. I've always driven a standard and never even dreamed of towing heavy with a auto. After the fires ate dozens of homes in OK two weeks ago, we decided to load our garage sale pile and just take it all to donate to those who lost their homes. I didn't have a trailer plug in my bed yet and didn't have a 7-way RV to mate to the new truck on the trailer. So I nigerian rigged a 4-way flat on the 24' stock trailer just to have lights. It was great with the auto. The exhaust brake is the shiznit! I didn't even really notice the need for trailer brakes! Keep in mind, it was only hauling clothes and house crap....and I'd never tow cattle without brakes, but, it was really nice.

Go for it. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I hear more and more differences between the cab/chassis trucks and the regular ones everyday. Do your homework if you go that way. $.02

6.7's are good to go, only 07.5-09 can run EFI live, they love big turbos and the stock 68 AND the stock aisin are weak suace. If you find one that's unmollested, delete the EGR/DPF immediately and put head studs in it.

6.7's are good to go, only 07.5-09 can run EFI live, they love big turbos and the stock 68 AND the stock aisin are weak suace. If you find one that's unmollested, delete the EGR/DPF immediately and put head studs in it.

well what does it take to make the 68 or aisin stout where I dont have to worry about them for a while. I dont mind my G-56 as I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the only thing I ever change is the clutch, I have yet to ever need to go into one because something broke or wore out.

I have looked very little but what are some of the main differences between the regular 3500 and the cab and chasis 3500?

Thanks for all the help guys,

To make the 68 stout, $8600 shipped for the big bad larry for $6600 for the M3GAjr. To make the Aisin stout, throw it in the garbage and start over with something else.

So with the weights I would be putting to it and proper care and maintenance to the trans what sort of life can I be expecting before I would need to go back into it?

I am in the same situation. I have never owned a diesel, but am Mopar all the way. I have had a few halftons and due to our travel trailer we are upgrading to a three quarter or one ton. The info helps.

Last edited:
Back