Thinking about preventative measures..

DieselFan808

I'm building up my second Cummins, this time a 305.

I got this idea stuck in my head about doing preventative work before i start messing with the bigger toys..

I have ordered an Airdog 4G, but will install in a couple weeks because its way too cold right now to be outside. I obviously chose this to elongate the life of the engine fuel system to include the injectors.

A Donaldson muffler to finally be compliant with my laws, the sheriffs have been hounding me.

I then decided to do a coolant bypass kit, i just finished choosing the fittings, valve, and hose and also where i'm going to dump the return. This is for the excess pressure in the rear.

I also decided to upgrade the steering to an 08.5+ system by Moog. To avoid the death wobble and for better handling. To include the stabilizer bracket.

I plan on getting some adjustable traction bars but am still unsure of which brand to go with.. Ideas? Just to help with the axle-wrap.

So now, I'm wondering what kind of preventative things are ya'll running? How're the results?

And studs. Can't forget the studs. Putting em on the exhaust too just to make my life easier, especially with the 2nd gen mani.

I'm building up my second Cummins, this time a 305.

I got this idea stuck in my head about doing preventative work before i start messing with the bigger toys..

I have ordered an Airdog 4G, but will install in a couple weeks because its way too cold right now to be outside. I obviously chose this to elongate the life of the engine fuel system to include the injectors.

A Donaldson muffler to finally be compliant with my laws, the sheriffs have been hounding me.

I then decided to do a coolant bypass kit, i just finished choosing the fittings, valve, and hose and also where i'm going to dump the return. This is for the excess pressure in the rear.

I also decided to upgrade the steering to an 08.5+ system by Moog. To avoid the death wobble and for better handling. To include the stabilizer bracket.

I plan on getting some adjustable traction bars but am still unsure of which brand to go with.. Ideas? Just to help with the axle-wrap.

So now, I'm wondering what kind of preventative things are ya'll running? How're the results?

Coolant bypass isn't a bad idea.

08.5 system is not that great of an upgrade. Lots of people still have problems. Look at http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store_DORsteering.php or thuren, etc.

Traction bars aren't that great of an upgrade for a daily driver. I'd say the same for caltracs.

I'd look at studs, and additional fuel filtration above and beyond what the airdog does.

Last edited:
Coolant bypass isn't a bad idea.

08.5 system is not that great of an upgrade. Lots of people still have problems. Look at http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/store_DORsteering.php or thuren, etc.

Traction bars aren't that great of an upgrade for a daily driver. I'd say the same for caltracs.

I'd look at studs, and additional fuel filtration above and beyond what the airdog does.

I should probably start off with saying what i DO have.
K&N CAI, 4" turbo back straight, QZ tuner, and a 5" Lift on 35" Mickey ATZs.

I chose the traction bars because of the lift.. still not necessary? I attached a GoPro to see the axlewrap and it was ugly.

Extra filtering? That sounds reasonable.. what kind of set up are you thinking?

I ordered the Baldwin PF7977 for better filtration. It's 5 microns.
And the AirDog is in the mail!

Back