Thinking of "O" ringing the block????

Loud&Obnoxious

So I'm curious does anyone just have their block "O" ringed instead of the head? I'm considering buying a Isky 200 block O ringing tool and I'm curious if anyone has used one or any experience with just a O ringed block.

Oringed block here. Holds fine to insane, nitrous spraying, turbo-melting temps/pressures.

brandon.

Cutting the block is much easier then the head when it comes to installing the head, so i would agree with the ringing the block.

chris

I had my block cut for fire rings. Not sure how it works as it is still in pieces.

cummins freak said:
wouldn't that just be like fire rings then ???
Not really.

Oring = stainless wire ring that crushes the stock compression ring.
Firering = replaces the stock compression ring with a receiver groove & new compression ring.

Either can be done to the block or head or both.

brandon.

I have heard of more people with firerings screwed up than o-rings though. I don't know the reasons why, but I would think firerings would have to be a LOT more precise than o-rings!

I'm planning on o-ringing both the block and head eventually!

Chris

i read somewhere that cometic is coming out with a mls gasket for the 24v and 12v. Does anyone know if this is still in motion or dead in the water? how would this compare to orings or fire rings? what would be the benefit of cutting the block and the head for orings, better holding strength of the oring?

joefarmer said:
Not really.

Oring = stainless wire ring that crushes the stock compression ring.
Firering = replaces the stock compression ring with a receiver groove & new compression ring.

Either can be done to the block or head or both.

brandon.

Very well said, fire rings are used more commonly in the heavy truck industry, o rings are the easier way to go and also cheaper mainly due to the fact that less machining is required for 0 rings than fire rings.

Chris

Bobcat698 said:
I had my block cut for fire rings. Not sure how it works as it is still in pieces.

Hmm. I have one like that, too. It's much better on fuel like that, don'tcha think? And my neighbors like it, too.

I have an o-ring on the block and one on the head (different sizes) and an
.071 thick copper head gasket. It holds over 100lbs of boost and lots of nitrous :rockwoot:

i have a groove in the head and the block to accept my fire rings. plus 14mm studs, i have thrown 60 psi and water meth to it, but that is all i have for now.

PRattenbury said:
It's much better on fuel like that, don'tcha think? And my neighbors like it, too.
But the downside is your friends like to bust chops about you driving the Town+country mini-van:eek:wned:

Woodruff also does orings. We've had his orings in 4 blocks.

brnaodn.

Loud&Obnoxious said:
So I'm curious does anyone just have their block "O" ringed instead of the head? I'm considering buying a Isky 200 block O ringing tool and I'm curious if anyone has used one or any experience with just a O ringed block.
I've got an Isky o-ring tool I don't use anymore. Still in working order.

CC12V said:
I've got an Isky o-ring tool I don't use anymore. Still in working order.

So have you O ringed your Cummins block with it? If so how did it turn out? Also what wire did you use?

Loud&Obnoxious said:
So have you O ringed your Cummins block with it? If so how did it turn out? Also what wire did you use?
I've used it on about 5 different motors years ago.Holds to about 70 with the copper wire.
Its possible to use a different bit for a solid ring.

Back