Thoughts on 47RE rebuild

Limited

Slow N' Quiet
I smoked my full billet DTT last year. All it needs is a soft rebuild and I am trying to decide which kit to use. I will pull the trans myself and my buddy will rebuild it with whatever parts I give him. What brand of clutches do you guys like? Garmon says to use Ray Bestos or Borg Warner but not Alto Red. I was going to use this Suncoast kit until I heard that.

Cummins Performance Parts CPP SunCoast Extreme Duty Rebuild Transmission kit for Dodge

Garmon said the factory clutches are Borg, so now I am leaning towards this for cost reasons.

Dodge Ram 47RE Transmission Master Rebuild Kit

Truck is only around 500hp, but will hopefuly keep going up. It will see 6 pulls a year or so, and a few trips to the dragstrip. I want to rebuild it and not have to worry about it for a few years. Also I am running a Goerend VB in it with a ATS 5 disc TC. Anyone know what DTT uses for clutches?

DTT uses Raybestos or BW, cant remember for sure. They also sell a master kit that is reasonably priced.

I'm not a transmission expert but it seems like line pressure is more important than clutch material when it comes to holding capacity. I don't think (don't know) that any of the "hi-energy" clutch materials are that much better than the next brand. Lets say one has 5% more friction, if you up the line pressure 5%, the holding capacity would be the same.

I think clutch wear is directly related to valvebody set-up and how quickly the clutch packs engage, when they're half engaged, they are slipping and wearing down. When they are engaged, they experience no wear.

It would be interesting to see what your old clutches look like when you tear it down. I'm curious to see how many clutches and steels are used in a "full billet" DTT transmission.

Back