Throttle ball & socket

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Throttle cable just popped off thismorning while driving through traffic. The ball end is pretty worn on the pump linkage. I know I have a spare ball end in my shop, but by the looks of this one on my truck, it looks like its not threaded. How do you get them on and off ?

It should have a threaded stud.

9125610719725b38b79e61b6adb9fa2f.jpg

There’s a recall depending on the year of the truck.

They hooked me right up. Left the TpS unplugged, bent some levers and got my throttle to hang on the interstate. Give em a call.

If you’re talking about the female side, it has internal threads. Be aware there are several configurations- long and short shank with standard threads as well as one with a left hand thread.

87b93aafb42de8435a9f313a9ba8b33b.jpg

Mine popped off in the parking lot at work, we used a couple zip ties to keep it from coming back off. It worked well enough that I drove it for a year before replacing both balls and sockets. One zip tie around the socket, and another one through the first one like a chain and hooked back to a bracket. Not recommend for long term use, but it will get you home!

Last edited:
If you’re talking about the female side, it has internal threads. Be aware there are several configurations- long and short shank with standard threads as well as one with a left hand thread.

87b93aafb42de8435a9f313a9ba8b33b.jpg

Mine popped off in the parking lot at work, we used a couple zip ties to keep it from coming back off. It worked well enough that I drove it for a year before replacing both balls and sockets. One zip tie around the socket, and another one through the first one like a chain and hooked back to a bracket. Not recommend for long term use, but it will get you home!
A couple layers of aluminum foil on the ball and press the other end back on will get about 10k more miles out of it also.

I was able to replace the ends with some from the hardware store. I believe the oems are metric thread, but 1/4-28 threaded in fine. They were $10 each.

Attachments

• 20201121_112404.jpg
    20201121_112404.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 0
Should be able to get a throttle linkage rebuild kit from Cummins. Hit up Snedge I'm sure he can hook you up. I know I got one about 6 months ago

I was able to replace the ends with some from the hardware store. I believe the oems are metric thread, but 1/4-28 threaded in fine. They were $10 each.

This is what I did on my 91. Ball and socket were wore. Hardware store components have held up for 6 years and going.

Back