Ticking Noise???

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I just got done swapping in a Cam, lifters, 110 lb. valve springs, and Hd pushrods and noticed this ticking noise as the truck runs. I installed everything just like the instructions said and the engine spun freely by hand and started easy. A fellow member posted in the 2nd Gen section but no one has responded yet, so I figured it would get more attention in here. Thanks in advance for any info.

CAM making valves hit piston? Unlikely but possible depending on lift.
But i would go for a loose valve adjustment first! Pull the cover I know you don't want to but do it and run it with the cover off too!

I ran the valves twice after cam and stuff was installed. I would same these are stock length, they are the hamilton HD pushrods. THe cam is the "big stick" grind 181/210. I would hope the valves aren't tapping the pistons. lol

I set the lash at 0.010 and 0.020. Followed a cummins manual. Cam timing was not changed, it is keyed like factory from what I could see.

I ran the valves twice after cam and stuff was installed. I would same these are stock length, they are the hamilton HD pushrods. THe cam is the "big stick" grind 181/210. I would hope the valves aren't tapping the pistons. lol

I set the lash at 0.010 and 0.020. Followed a cummins manual. Cam timing was not changed, it is keyed like factory from what I could see.

What does the factory manual say to do? don't mean to be redundant but some of the methods I see for setting valve lash are questionable at best!

Well you know, set at tdc and adjust the certain intake/exhaust. Then spin the motor again adjust the other intake/exhaust.

I am pretty sure with my cam it says 10 and 20, but could this be what is causing the ticking?

my truck had this issue. it turned out that the rockers and shafts were all galled out. when i installed the cam the rockers were riding past where they normal wore in. i swapped out rockers with my parts engine and the ticking was gone. there was a good thread on this a while back

How would a guy tell if the rockers were galled out?? Pull em and see how loose everything is on them?? I found that I have small fuel leak at the head cause an injector line was not seated.

Well you know, set at tdc and adjust the certain intake/exhaust. Then spin the motor again adjust the other intake/exhaust.

I am pretty sure with my cam it says 10 and 20, but could this be what is causing the ticking?

I see. I've never been a fan of those kind of methods as imo there is too much margin for error. I'm always a fan however of spin the motor by hand (if possible) and watch for the exhaust valve beginning to open, set the intake lash at that point. Continue spinning the motor watch the intake valve open, keep spinning, watch it start to close. Right before it completely closes set the exhaust lash. Has worked well every time for me in some very very agressive valve trains.

I spin my motor by the alternator nut and it will only spin against the direction of running rotation so reverse the above if you spin against normal rotation. Not really sure how you spin a 24v by hand given I have no experience with them.

Good luck

I see. I've never been a fan of those kind of methods as imo there is too much margin for error. I'm always a fan however of spin the motor by hand (if possible) and watch for the exhaust valve beginning to open, set the intake lash at that point. Continue spinning the motor watch the intake valve open, keep spinning, watch it start to close. Right before it completely closes set the exhaust lash. Has worked well every time for me in some very very agressive valve trains.

I spin my motor by the alternator nut and it will only spin against the direction of running rotation so reverse the above if you spin against normal rotation. Not really sure how you spin a 24v by hand given I have no experience with them.

Good luck
Adjust intake and exhaust lash in that same cylinder with this method? I need to adjust my lash again, and this way seems most accurate if I understand it correctly. Thanks

Adjust intake and exhaust lash in that same cylinder with this method? I need to adjust my lash again, and this way seems most accurate if I understand it correctly. Thanks

yes, same cylinder. If it worked for me with 1.95 ratio rockers providing .750" valve lift from a cam which was a bit on the aggressive side for such a large ratio rocker in a street driven motor i'm quite sure it will work for these cummins motors with far far far less aggressive setups. Besides, its what Jessel and many valve train companies tell you to do.

Back