Tieing your TV Cable.

Dinner

Canadian EH
Hey guys,

I've searched and read as much as I could on tieing the tv lever to WOT for drag racing for my 47re tranny. However I ran into a little problem when I was testing some things out the other day. I'm new to drag racing (only been down 6 times now) and I've read, as well as Dave G suggests tieing your kickdown WOT for drag racing. I'd like to get this figured out so I can actually test and tune the truck for better ET.

Long story short, I zip tied mine WOT and took it for a drive. I never accelerated hard, but I let it go through the gears then came to a stop. I went to start off again and my tranny went into limp mode. Brought the truck home, read/cleared codes and cut the zip tie.

I'm assuming I need some sort of resistor inline at the PCM to avoid this? I know there is a resistor of some sort there since I had Dave install the tranny for me. However why would it put my transmission into limp mode? Also, can you daily drive with it tied WOT all the time?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

I dont recommend leaving it tied up for DD and neither will Dave G.

I dont recommend leaving it tied up for DD and neither will Dave G.

Yeah that is fine, would be too harsh of shifts anyways specially for winter time! Is there anything I can do to prevent it going into Limp mode? Or should I zip tie it, run my race, come back and cut the zip-tie, clear the codes/re-start the truck and carry on?

Im not getting the whole limp mode but yes thats what Dave told me to do with mine. Ive forgotten to cut mine before and didnt get the limp mode.

Im not getting the whole limp mode but yes thats what Dave told me to do with mine. Ive forgotten to cut mine before and didnt get the limp mode.

I know that's why I'm all confused, I've read a few people on here doing it and they don't seem to get anything. First time out it put my truck into 3rd I believe. When I read the codes it was something about the governor sensor reading too high (can't quite remember). I was thinking about taking the resistor of my other trucks PCM (goerend valve body also) and putting it on my current truck to see if that makes a difference.

You tried calling dave yet?

Not yet, I only have a cellphone right now, and it won't make calls. Apparently smartphone don't like water....I just thought is see what you fellas say before I have to find a phone somewhere, haha.

Mine's been in the toilet twice. Let it sit in a bowl of rice for a day in the truck. Shook the rice out and it's worked great ever since.

I usually tie mine when I get to the event and cut the tie when im done. I dont think its far enough from the return road to the trailer to hurt it.

Craig at Goerend suggested I try mine tied to see if I liked it. I hated it but regardless it worked fine just crazy hard shifting. When my trans was put in a resistor was put in with it to prevent this phenom you speak of. If I recall correctly it came with the trans.

I usually tie mine when I get to the event and cut the tie when im done. I dont think its far enough from the return road to the trailer to hurt it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I might do, even if I can't figure out my limp mode reasoning.

Craig at Goerend suggested I try mine tied to see if I liked it. I hated it but regardless it worked fine just crazy hard shifting. When my trans was put in a resistor was put in with it to prevent this phenom you speak of. If I recall correctly it came with the trans.

Yeah it will def shift harder due to the increased line pressure throughout. I know there is a resistor there of some sort, (unless it's just two wires wrapped together under shrink tubing). And there is also a glass fuse holder, with no fuse in it (way it came from Dave's). I'm going to take a look at my harness this weekend, and see if it is indeed a resistor. Dave's guys down the road installed the transmission, and then a younger guy at Dave's finished up the install.

Last edited:
Mine's been in the toilet twice. Let it sit in a bowl of rice for a day in the truck. Shook the rice out and it's worked great ever since.

haha I tried that man! It got some moisture out but my phone still throws a fit with certain things. Ah well, I'll live with it a bit longer and then upgrade :doh:

Why would it shift harder going down the track? Or did I miss read that? I don't know about you guys, but I usually run WOT going down the track.

I do know of a few people doing that, to prevent burning forward clutches. Basically applies more pressure while staging. I have not had that problem though. It seems to me it would make it harder to spool at the line though.

Paul

Why would it shift harder going down the track? Or did I miss read that? I don't know about you guys, but I usually run WOT going down the track.

I do know of a few people doing that, to prevent burning forward clutches. Basically applies more pressure while staging. I have not had that problem though. It seems to me it would make it harder to spool at the line though.

Paul

Oh, I was just speaking in daily driving style, light throttle it will "bang" shifts compared to normal TV operation.

And yeah, my thoughts is that it would prevent more slippage at the line, less burning of the clutches and maybe perhaps less heat? Maybe it would help me more than you, because so far I have only launched at 18lbs, less throttle, less pressure...I'm thinking that being as of right now I'm leaving the line so "light" footed, it might help my tranny out. Hmmm

Last edited:
Try jumping trans relay in the fuse box. I had to do that on a few different 04 trucks to keep them out of limp mode.

Try jumping trans relay in the fuse box. I had to do that on a few different 04 trucks to keep them out of limp mode.

I have that done already for my lock up switch. If that is the same relay you are talking about? :Cheer:

Maybe the resistor inline to fool the PCM for the governor circuit isn't rated properly?

Last edited:
Oh, I was just speaking in daily driving style, light throttle it will "bang" shifts compared to normal TV operation.

And yeah, my thoughts is that it would prevent more slippage at the line, less burning of the clutches and maybe perhaps less heat? Maybe it would help me more than you, because so far I have only launched at 18lbs, less throttle, less pressure...I'm thinking that being as of right now I'm leaving the line so "light" footed, it might help my tranny out. Hmmm

Ive had mine tied full tilt for a while now. if you are juggling a crispy chicken sandwich, a cell phone, and shifting a manual valve body.... lets just say drinks dont like to stay in the cup holder.... :badidea:

Ive had mine tied full tilt for a while now. if you are juggling a crispy chicken sandwich, a cell phone, and shifting a manual valve body.... lets just say drinks dont like to stay in the cup holder.... :badidea:

haha I bet! How do you like your set up? Do you use a cheaper B&M Shifter, or some sort of Cheetah?

See the other thing I'm thinking of doing perhaps next year. Is throwing a Manual VB under it and getting a Ratchet shifter of some sort. But I'll have to cut my centre console out also. So perhaps, if I can't figure out this whole limp mode tranny after tieing my TV cable lever WOT, I'll just wait it out until next year and throw the better shift method in it :st:

Last edited:
haha I bet! How do you like your set up? Do you use a cheaper B&M Shifter, or some sort of Cheetah?

See the other thing I'm thinking of doing perhaps next year. Is throwing a Manual VB under it and getting a Ratchet shifter of some sort. But I'll have to cut my centre console out also. So perhaps, if I can't figure out this whole limp mode tranny after tieing my TV cable lever WOT, I'll just wait it out until next year and throw the better shift method in it :st:

I like it a lot! I have the cheap b&m. its a blast to drive too! You don't have to get rid of the center consol. I have my shifter in the exact spot my hand rested when I had the 5speed and its perfect.

Back