TIG Welding Reference??

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Yall got any good sources to find some info about the Basics of TIG welding?
ie: What tungston to use with what materal? The best way to grind it? Same with Filler rod (What type for selected materal)?
Gonna be using anything from mild steel to 4130 Moly to aluminum?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Miller's site has some good basic guidelines for different materials vs.tungsten. I find that I weld slower than most and because of that I run slightly less amperage. What machine are you learning with?

Miller's site has some good basic guidelines for different materials vs.tungsten. I find that I weld slower than most and because of that I run slightly less amperage. What machine are you learning with?

Why you gotta be hatin' on a cooking show :)

Lynn, video's are your friend for sure, youtube it....and I forget that one also!

Jim

I would recommend some youtube time, then a **** load of practice.

Why you gotta be hatin' on a cooking show :)

Lynn, video's are your friend for sure, youtube it....and I forget that one also!

Jim
Sorry Jim, I gotta admit I'm a little dumb and didn't get the reference.

And miller has a smartphone app that gives you settings and what to use. Good point to start from

I wound up finding and older Airco AC/DC Heliwelder IV 300 AMP Tig/Stick. I found Local for a reasonable price. Its a big unit for sure but im sure it will handle anything im going to do. IVe been searching on youtube alot . just wanted to find some written resource that i can print and read over. lol

Practice, practice, practice......................................................... then a little more practice.

one grinder for your tungsten ONLY!

I gave up, steel is easy, aluminium is the hard one for me.

Then I bought a used Miller 250 with a spool gun :) done!

Lots of info at Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

Last edited:
miller and Lincoln are good resources the tig welders channel on you tube is perty good too. if you have a local welding shop most of the guys would probably help you for free or maybe even a few beers. a butt load of hood time cant be beat, just make sure you don't teach yourself any bad habits because later on they will be hard to break.

Back