Time for turbo's to be upgraded.

I think he means you should be able to do that with a lower boost level? I dunno, Ron would be a good guy to chime in, cause he's 800+ at the wheels on fuel...

At Diesel Power Challenge Sean Gammel had an Aurora 3000 over an 8000 (62 over 95?) when I looked at the dyno graph, it was the smoothest power curve I have ever seen on a diesel. For drag racing, I think that would be a sweet setup...something to get you out of the hole, and more power up top...and then fine tune the launch with nitrous. You have a rarity in the diesel market, a truck that can pull the tires, that's why I'd go with a smaller turbo off the manifold, so you won't have any spooling issues.

Isn't that pretty similar to Darrin Morrison's 9xxhp daily driver? 62/xx over S595?

I think he means you should be able to do that with a lower boost level? I dunno, Ron would be a good guy to chime in, cause he's 800+ at the wheels on fuel...

I know this is a 12v and not a CR, and I'm not sure how they compare with total boost numbers, But my calculated 850+ run with my 62/71/13 ^ 480 race cover (I think its 80/96/1.32) only sees 65-70 psi of total boost for those numbers...( stock head, no porting )

I guess 12v's require bigger boost numbers?? Per hp rating?

Sorry, not trying to stir anything up, 90psi is alot of pressure. What kind of egt's are going with that?

i dunno if it has been covered yet, but what charger(s) are you currently running?

Sorry, not trying to stir anything up, 90psi is alot of pressure. What kind of egt's are going with that?

No stirring here man. I just did not understand what you meant exactly.

i dunno if it has been covered yet, but what charger(s) are you currently running?

HX40 over a HT3B runs about 70PSI on nitrous. EGTS are about 1400 currently going down the track. No external gate except the one on the 40. 5x14 injectors, Truck leans out nice as is. Truthfully would like it to run lean like it does just much faster. That is another goal in mind with the new injectors and turbos.

Last edited:
Isn't that pretty similar to Darrin Morrison's 9xxhp daily driver? 62/xx over S595?

Its a 500 base I believe, but the charger comes off a perkins gen. set. Compressor is around 86mm, closer to an s4t. Nothing new , huge, or crazy. Darren told me this so its no secret I'm letting out. Hope that helps!

Ok guys one more chime in please. 64/74 over S480. Does this seem like a good middle ground on the top turbo? Pulling the trigger today with HTT.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the turbine size is for an off the shelf s480?

You'll probably need to loosen up the converter a little for the 64mm, but I think that setup should work well....

The 63 cover is not available and no telling when will it will be?????? I went ahead and ordered a 64/71/16 over S480. I was going to go 74 turbine but HTT wants me to try this turbine shaft because this combo will be easy to get the drive ratio at 1 to 1 even with just there big internal gate only. That and they say the spool up will be quicker. I am going to do an ED gateplate anyway incase we will need to add an external gate in the future.

Thank you guys very much for the input and answering all the questions. Will post some pics and let you know what I find!

Last edited:
I've run the 64/71/16 over S480(96 turbine/1.3 housing) combo before. It made good power and would spool on the line with a little patience and experimentation. I tried the 80mm w/87 turbine and it didn't spool much different than the 96. The 64/71/16 worked great with a k31(full sized Detroit 60), 75/83/1.1 s400, 80/96/1.3 s400, and GT4718. I set the wastegate to open on the bench at 34psi with the 80mm and above compressors, and at 28 with the smaller compressors.

My vote is keep the hx-40, get a cheap off the shelf S480, and give that a run. I would also run at least a 44mm gate off the manifold to be able to bypass the hx-40.

Back