Time to revisit your hitches again...

Sledpuller

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Work Stock guys..... the clevis off you lawnmower is not big enough for an NTPA certified sled's hook to fit.

And I really, REALLY do not care about you brush pull sled hooks fit fine, so its my fault I rented the wrong sled.

Get with the program!!!!

Yeah some of the hitches they tried getting by with yesterday was a little ridiculous. Its always amusing some of the things you see that people consider a "hitch".

So now I have to bring an angle grinder just to hook?? Modifiying that hook to fit my clevis on a Saturday is going to be charged at time and a half.

On a serious note... If your going to try hooking, take a look at the sticky on hitches and read the rules!!

Work Stock guys..... the clevis off you lawnmower is not big enough for an NTPA certified sled's hook to fit.

And I really, REALLY do not care about you brush pull sled hooks fit fine, so its my fault I rented the wrong sled.

Get with the program!!!!

These rookies need everything visual, Sleddy.

Take a bunch of pics of the bad ones and put big red NO captions on 'em :hehe:

You mean a bigger clevis hooked to a smaller clevis isn't good enough? I saw that a couple weeks ago...

On our sled back here we keep a clevis big enough to fit that the guys can borrow, and just put it on when they hook up and then pull it off when they unhook, do you guys do anything like that, if not might want to maybe consider that, then if someone has a clevis to small or doesnt have one there is one there and it doesnt hold up time.

good idea kmk. we try in the pits to make sure guys have something that will work.

In my opinion... If they aren't smart enough to read the rules and have the right size opening for the hook, they shouldn't pull.

As in... Get your **** together before you get in front of the sled. The hook doesn't drop in the hole you've provided. You're done.

It's not that hard to realize that the biggest opening you'll ever be required to have is a 3.75" hole.

some need a little help. i have loaned my hitch a few times.

Thats fine too.. And I'll gladly loan them mine as well...

But they need to be smart enough to figure out they need it BEFORE they try and hook to the sled.

I guess I'm just a little pissy because last nights hook went till about 2AM because of all the retards in the street classes that didn't have the right hitch, and we had to wait for them to find one.

These rookies need everything visual, Sleddy.

Take a bunch of pics of the bad ones and put big red NO captions on 'em :hehe:

Its to that point, isn't it?

The sad thing is, most of them have hooked before and got away with it some dang place.

Guys with shops, you should have spare hitches for sale/rent as well as turn ups and cross bolts, you are missing an opportunity to make fuel money every hook.

Let me know before hand yo u have those parts and we'll announce it.

In my opinion... If they aren't smart enough to read the rules and have the right size opening for the hook, they shouldn't pull.

As in... Get your **** together before you get in front of the sled. The hook doesn't drop in the hole you've provided. You're done.

It's not that hard to realize that the biggest opening you'll ever be required to have is a 3.75" hole.

Certain times at local pulls it can't be helped though (national pulls or pulls that don't have a beginner class is a different story and I'm assuming that is what Sleddy is referring to) . Many times Joe Blow in the stands hears the announcers say come hook your truck, so he thinks why not give it a try. He hops in his rig in the parking lot and uses whatever he has at his disposal. Yes he doesn't have the proper hitch but he wasn't planning on pulling when he left home either. We can ***** about him and not let him pull (some groups will do this), or we can help a possible future puller out and try and promote the sport. WE don't fault someone like that and have a few loaner hitches (painted bright colors so we can get them back easier) for them to use.

I agree that there are times where guys plan on pulling for the first time and are unprepared and/or didn't take the time to read the rules and it is FRUSTRATING, but we have two roads to choose from when dealing with these individuals......and sometimes the rules are not readily available from some clubs. I always leave my name and number and have them call me with any questions or clarifications for future pullls. More often than not, I will get a newbie calling me for rules clarifications. Yes it can get old at times answering the same question over and over again for different people, but it's part of trying to make the sport grow for the future....

If a guy comes to a pull more than twice and doesn't have a proper hitch, then we have an issue, or if the same guy keeps asking the same question over and over again. I'll answer it once, and most likely twice, after that I point him elsewhere.

My .02

Last edited:
Certain times at local pulls it can't be helped though (national pulls or pulls that don't have a beginner class is a different story and I'm assuming that is what Sleddy is referring to) . Many times Joe Blow in the stands hears the announcers say come hook your truck, so he thinks why not give it a try. He hops in his rig in the parking lot and uses whatever he has at his disposal. Yes he doesn't have the proper hitch but he wasn't planning on pulling when he left home either. We can ***** about him and not let him pull (some groups will do this), or we can help a possible future puller out and try and promote the sport. WE don't fault someone like that and have a few loaner hitches (painted bright colors so we can get them back easier) for them to use.

I agree that there are times where guys plan on pulling for the first time and are unprepared and/or didn't take the time to read the rules and it is FRUSTRATING, but we have two roads to choose from when dealing with these individuals......and sometimes the rules are not readily available from some clubs. I always leave my name and number and have them call me with any questions or clarifications for future pullls. More often than not, I will get a newbie calling me for rules clarifications. Yes it can get old at times answering the same question over and over again for different people, but it's part of trying to make the sport grow for the future....

If a guy comes to a pull more than twice and doesn't have a proper hitch, then we have an issue, or if the same guy keeps asking the same question over and over again. I'll answer it once, and most likely twice, after that I point him elsewhere.

My .02

Thank you! This is how we do it around here too. I grew up with pulling but however the first time I hooked I wasnt prepared either because I wasnt at the pull to pull myself and my cousins modified tractor hitch wouldnt exactly work in my receiver. Im glad someone was willing to help me that night because I won and have hooked hundreds of times since just to thrill the crowds that come to the shows and support them. Obviously if you have been around pulling you know by the 2nd time out what is needed and you need to be prepared or just stay in the stands.

Just curoius, what if a guy hears it on the radio, doesnt have access to the internet and there is no phone number to call, so he just shows up to pull, and is not even close to ready because he did not know the rules. Whos fault is that, do you guys have a website and phone number posted on all flyers and announced in ads, so new pullers can call or go look for rules, or do you assume they are smart enough to know your website and to go look at the rules. The attitude you have plain out sucks and i dont think you need a thing to do with pulling, the key is to help new people out to get the sport to grow, not call them stupid and get pissed because its there first time, that doesnt help the sport grow at all. I can see if they have pulled a few times and are doing this but as a first time puller give them a break and help them out. I dont know how you do it back east but here, we weigh and tech every pull, when you weigh which is usuallly 2 hours before the pull they check hitch height, then when they tech they usually check it again and right before they hook its checked again, thats three times it was checked, which doesnt always happen, so if the tech didnt catch it or ask them abo, or they ask him about there wont be any problems, that way they are ready to hook to the sled. How hard would it be for one person to walk around and look at the hitches before every pull, its not hard at all so instead of coming on here and complaining why dont you actually step up and help out the new guys.

Just curoius, what if a guy hears it on the radio, doesnt have access to the internet and there is no phone number to call, so he just shows up to pull, and is not even close to ready because he did not know the rules. Whos fault is that, do you guys have a website and phone number posted on all flyers and announced in ads, so new pullers can call or go look for rules, or do you assume they are smart enough to know your website and to go look at the rules. The attitude you have plain out sucks and i dont think you need a thing to do with pulling, the key is to help new people out to get the sport to grow, not call them stupid and get pissed because its there first time, that doesnt help the sport grow at all. I can see if they have pulled a few times and are doing this but as a first time puller give them a break and help them out. I dont know how you do it back east but here, we weigh and tech every pull, when you weigh which is usuallly 2 hours before the pull they check hitch height, then when they tech they usually check it again and right before they hook its checked again, thats three times it was checked, which doesnt always happen, so if the tech didnt catch it or ask them abo, or they ask him about there wont be any problems, that way they are ready to hook to the sled. How hard would it be for one person to walk around and look at the hitches before every pull, its not hard at all so instead of coming on here and complaining why dont you actually step up and help out the new guys.

Wow... You're "Special" aren't ya?

Did you not see post number #10?

I basically said the same damn thing you just did...

Thing is.... These guys should have the common sense enough to ask some of the more experienced guys a few questions before they roll out in front of the crowd to hook.

Don't get on your soapbox and preach to me about my attitude... I've helped plenty of new guys, and my hitch has been used in OTHER peoples trucks more than it's been used in mine.

I also didn't say a word to the about 20 guys who literally got out in front of the sled this weekend and found out their hitch would't work. I didn't say anything to them because you're right, it doesn't help the sport to call them names and belittle them. Instead I pulled the pin on my hitch again and handed it them and just said bring it back to the Grey and Silver Dodge over there when you're done.

But here on CompD... I feel like I can vent a little... To a group of guys who might know where I'm coming from.

Instead you see it as an opportunity to be a keyboard cowboy and get your panties in a bunch...

So who really has the attitude here?

My .02

Exactly... This is all I'm getting at.

It's the repeat offenders that get annoying after awhile.

There was NOBODY who didn't get a hook the other night, there was NOBODY who got belittled or ridiculed.

It was just an annoyance that could have been solved with a little common sense.

Thats fine too.. And I'll gladly loan them mine as well...

But they need to be smart enough to figure out they need it BEFORE they try and hook to the sled.

I guess I'm just a little pissy because last nights hook went till about 2AM because of all the retards in the street classes that didn't have the right hitch, and we had to wait for them to find one.

Wow... You're "Special" aren't ya?

Did you not see post number #10?

I basically said the same damn thing you just did...

Thing is.... These guys should have the common sense enough to ask some of the more experienced guys a few questions before they roll out in front of the crowd to hook.

Don't get on your soapbox and preach to me about my attitude... I've helped plenty of new guys, and my hitch has been used in OTHER peoples trucks more than it's been used in mine.

I also didn't say a word to the about 20 guys who literally got out in front of the sled this weekend and found out their hitch would't work. I didn't say anything to them because you're right, it doesn't help the sport to call them names and belittle them. Instead I pulled the pin on my hitch again and handed it them and just said bring it back to the Grey and Silver Dodge over there when you're done.

But here on CompD... I feel like I can vent a little... To a group of guys who might know where I'm coming from.

Instead you see it as an opportunity to be a keyboard cowboy and get your panties in a bunch...

So who really has the attitude here?

you didnt say anything close to what I said all you said is you have let people borrow your hitch. 20 trucks that there hitch wouldnt work, this might not be a probably with you because you probably do try to help, it seems the pulling organizing and help is lacking very bad, if they wouldnt work that means before the pull the trucks were not properly teched or looked at to see if they were ready. You can say I have a bad attitude all you wont for getting on here and saying give the new guys a brake, alot have never pulled before so they will have no common sense on pulling, but sounds like you knew everything your first pull and have never needed help, i know i didnt know sh!t about pulling when I first started and alot of people helped me out, so I do as much as I can to help the new guys out. Do they have rules printed up for people to get when they regester so they can look at them so they know what to do to get there truck ready for the pull, once again you assume everyone knows what size clevis and everything that they should have. I am sorry I dont wine and cry about the pullers that didnt have the right hitch, instead I go help them out. I see this as an opportunity to get on here and show how big of a disgrace to sled pulling you are by saying they should not pull because they should have been smart enough to know what size hitch would work, but dont worry its not all you, what ever pulling organization you pull with needs to pull there heads out of there asses, and actually look at things and properly tech trucks so this problem wont happen when it is time to hook to the sled, we dont have any of the problems you guys have back there, i guess we got are sh!t together, and do it right.

you didnt say anything close to what I said all you said is you have let people borrow your hitch. 20 trucks that there hitch wouldnt work, this might not be a probably with you because you probably do try to help, it seems the pulling organizing and help is lacking very bad, if they wouldnt work that means before the pull the trucks were not properly teched or looked at to see if they were ready. You can say I have a bad attitude all you wont for getting on here and saying give the new guys a brake, alot have never pulled before so they will have no common sense on pulling, but sounds like you knew everything your first pull and have never needed help, i know i didnt know sh!t about pulling when I first started and alot of people helped me out, so I do as much as I can to help the new guys out. Do they have rules printed up for people to get when they regester so they can look at them so they know what to do to get there truck ready for the pull, once again you assume everyone knows what size clevis and everything that they should have. I am sorry I dont wine and cry about the pullers that didnt have the right hitch, instead I go help them out. I see this as an opportunity to get on here and show how big of a disgrace to sled pulling you are by saying they should not pull because they should have been smart enough to know what size hitch would work, but dont worry its not all you, what ever pulling organization you pull with needs to pull there heads out of there asses, and actually look at things and properly tech trucks so this problem wont happen when it is time to hook to the sled, we dont have any of the problems you guys have back there, i guess we got are sh!t together, and do it right.

Alright... I refuse to get in a one vs. one pissing match with you.

I'll answer the attacks against MYSELF once more then I'm done... You can go on thinkin' what you will after that.

1st... I never once stated I've got this whole thing figured out. Quite the contrary... I've stated many times I'm a straight up noob about it. I've even got a 7 page thread going in this section alone asking guys for advice on what I'm doing wrong. So that's not the case at all.

2nd... No... Actually I DID do my research before I decided to hook to the sled for the first time. I watched and paid attention to what the other guys were doing and I asked questions. This is how I knew I needed to have a hitch either borrowed or bought of my own before I got there.

3rd... You're right, teching was pretty much non-existant for the Street classes that caused the problems. I should have probably placed most of the blame on the event staff for that. Point taken.

4th... Yes.. I did basically say the same thing you did. In that I was just being a little pissy and overreacting.

As for calling me a disgrace to sled pulling... I ask this... Who the FUKK are you to be summing me up like that? I guess you're the "be all end all" of proper etiquette at the pulls and here on the internet?

One more thing... The "enter" key is there on the keyboard for a reason. Use it. That jumbled mess above was a pain in the ass to read.

Alright... I refuse to get in a one vs. one pissing match with you.

I'll answer the attacks against MYSELF once more then I'm done... You can go on thinkin' what you will after that.

1st... I never once stated I've got this whole thing figured out. Quite the contrary... I've stated many times I'm a straight up noob about it. I've even got a 7 page thread going in this section alone asking guys for advice on what I'm doing wrong. So that's not the case at all.

2nd... No... Actually I DID do my research before I decided to hook to the sled for the first time. I watched and paid attention to what the other guys were doing and I asked questions. This is how I knew I needed to have a hitch either borrowed or bought of my own before I got there.

3rd... You're right, teching was pretty much non-existant for the Street classes that caused the problems. I should have probably placed most of the blame on the event staff for that. Point taken.

4th... Yes.. I did basically say the same thing you did. In that I was just being a little pissy and overreacting.

As for calling me a disgrace to sled pulling... I ask this... Who the FUKK are you to be summing me up like that? I guess you're the "be all end all" of proper etiquette at the pulls and here on the internet?

One more thing... The "enter" key is there on the keyboard for a reason. Use it. That jumbled mess above was a pain in the ass to read.

if you are going to ***** and complain about new people not knowing the rules or what to do, and say they shouldnt be able pull, that does nothing to help the sport out, it does nothing to help new pullers out, and if everyone had the attitude you do towards new pullers, there wouldnt be any new pullers, thats why I said you are a disgrace to sled pulling, we want to see people in the sport that will help others, maybe go ask them questions, look at there set ups and see if something needs changed, maybe some are to embarrassed to ask for help because people like you would probably laugh at them, all I am saying if there is not rules posted all over the place, or numbers and websites, and rules handed out to the new pullers how the heck are they going to know the rules, how are they going to know who to ask, you come on here for being a dick head saying they dont need to pull if they are not smart enough to know the rules, maybe go the extra mile and help them out like we do back here, it sounds like it is not just you though that there are alot of pullers back there that dont give a sh!t about helping the new guys out. Just give it time for more people to read this and i bet more will agree your attitude is not good for sled pulling, and all i did was call you out on it.

Back