Timing alignment pin?

Racer9

The pin that goes into the cam gear from the back, to remove it do you have to remove the bolts from the front? Mines wrecked, (F'ing dealer!!!) and I need to change it. I can't feel bolt heads, and you sure as hell can't see the damn thing.

bolts are removed from the back of the outside of the timing housing BUT i know i can not get to it on my ve pump truck so im betting u sure as h3!! cant get to it with the inline pump

The pin is held in with a tiny snap ring but the 2 bolts are torx if i remember right and they come out from the out side

If you yank on it really hard the star washer will pop out and the timing pin can br emoved. The Oring will hold it in place. Mines been that way for a long time now. Pure diesel carries the timing pin for around $8 but it doesnt come with the retaining washer that I lost. I will be swapping mine out when I change the timing case cover.

If you yank on it really hard the star washer will pop out and the timing pin can br emoved. The Oring will hold it in place. Mines been that way for a long time now. Pure diesel carries the timing pin for around $8 but it doesnt come with the retaining washer that I lost. I will be swapping mine out when I change the timing case cover.

That's cool. The damn dealer busted the knob off trying to time it, so I have nothing to grab, to pull it.
What's it made of, plastic?
I'll try getting the lock ring out, and maybe I can pry the pin out somehow.
This is not one of Cummins better ideas!!!!

Just plastic with an Oring to seal it. If you want to cheat you could try heating an old screwdriver up red hot then shoving it into the timing pin. It should melt into the plug and let you pull it back out. Never tried it but I have heard of people doing it to get the actual pin out of the gear after forgetting to pull it out after finding TDC.

All the more reason it is plastic. So people don't destroy more than just a plastic pin when they forget and try starting the truck.

Back