Timing, boost or both??

Diesel Freak

So, beed driving the truck.for a year. Very happy with the streetability and power.

Note: this is a very mild build with just a HX40.

Only issue is EGT on the top end (over 3300 rpm)

On a hard 6th gear pull (or a good whack on the throttle in 3rd gear to get the back end loose in the dirt) I dont see EGTs over 1300F till 3300 rpm.

Timing is at 18 degrees, and wastgate set for 34 PSI.

Would bumping timing to 21 degrees help any? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a turbo that can feed the engine better and allow the headroom to run cooler to 4k?

Not really a complaint as the powerband that has zero EGT "issues" is 1200 to 3300-3400...would just like to be able to run harder to 4000 when screwing around offroad as the truck has decent carli/thuren goodies under it now.

Pump is a stock 215, 4k gsk, DFI mach 6 injectors, custom ground plate (kinda like a #6) stock DVs.

I'd bump the timing up to the mid 20's.
More time to burn the fuel in the cylinder.

Pick a number between 20 and 26 and go to it 😁. I ran 23 on my 12V for years.

If you can tell in seat of the pants, it’s gonna be a negligible amount of bottom end response.

I don't recall it being an issue. Drove on 600hp for a long time doing all the truck things.

To be honest I'm surprised you're making it to 3300 before that little turbine is a problem. I had a super HX40 on mine at 425HP(this is with a vp) and the turbine choked well before 3k rpm. This was with a 16cm housing and going bigger would not have helped; the turbine just doesn't flow. Great for towing though! I miss hearing that 40 scream! LOL

I would go with something like a 63/68/14.
63/68 are great drivers. I maxed mine out racing a Duramax and killed it, but I probably oversped it turning over 3k without enough gate or housing and too much displacement.

Back