timing on my truck...

dennhop

I just ordered the timing kit and dv sockets for my 96. Im hoping i can find someone nearby to help me, but if i cant, ill go ahead and tackle it myself. However, im still a bit uncertain as to how much i want to advance it. It was last set at 16°, and ive been thinking about bumping to 19-20°. Heres what done to the truck, and why i want to bump.
Engine is running mahle marine pistons, bored. 040 over, oringed and studded. (Pistons are not flycuts), maxspool stage 2 towing cam, ats 3 piece manifold, with a s300 over ht3b compound setup.
The pump is a 160 california model, with mack plug, 5kgsks, and modded and tuned by haisley. Not sure exactly what plate is in it, as i cant remember, and havent pulled it out yet to look. Trans is an NV4500 with a sbdd3600, and upgraded hydros. Also, the truck has a set of 5x14 ddp injectors.
Ive removed all components of the grid heater, to include the cheese grater inside the intake manifold, and the truck has 60 lb valve springs.
Im looking for a bit more boost, maybe a mpg or two more, and slightly better performance...i think (please let me k.ow if im wrong) that increasing the timing will help spool the turbos a bit better. The truck has 4:10 gears, so im not as concerned about losing low end torque, as it shouldnt be as noticeable as a truck with 3:55's.
Any input would be appreciated, and recommendations. Is 19-20° reasonable, or shod i keep it lower, say, 18°?

Last edited:
Just south of Jacksonville, NC

Edit: just saw the other posts...my internet's being retarded tonight for some reason.
RPM range, with the 4:10s, I'm typically running between 1800-2100 at 50-60 mph.

Last edited:
RPM range, with the 4:10s, I'm typically running between 1800-2100 at 50-60 mph.

At those RPMs 16 sounds about right for the best mileage. With your own tools you can experiment though since all bets are off with your mods.

With my 215 pump, stk 181s, 5x14s, and 4gsk.... My engine doesnt like anything less than 18*. Its now at 22*

Truck likes to pop and back fire on the topend, and when free rev'd(nv4500).

Id say start at 18*

-ViTO-

My 96 is very happy with 20 degrees and 4.10 gears and marine injectors ....

I would think 18, but the best thing to do is try different settings and see for yourself.

if you are drivning it everday and don't want to worry about cold weather starts try to stay 19* down to 16.5* but each truck seems to be or act alittle different.

I just ordered the timing kit and dv sockets for my 96. Im hoping i can find someone nearby to help me, but if i cant, ill go ahead and tackle it myself. However, im still a bit uncertain as to how much i want to advance it. It was last set at 16°, and ive been thinking about bumping to 19-20°. Heres what done to the truck, and why i want to bump.
Engine is running mahle marine pistons, bored. 040 over, oringed and studded. (Pistons are not flycuts), maxspool stage 2 towing cam, ats 3 piece manifold, with a s300 over ht3b compound setup.
The pump is a 160 california model, with mack plug, 5kgsks, and modded and tuned by haisley. Not sure exactly what plate is in it, as i cant remember, and havent pulled it out yet to look. Trans is an NV4500 with a sbdd3600, and upgraded hydros. Also, the truck has a set of 5x14 ddp injectors.
Ive removed all components of the grid heater, to include the cheese grater inside the intake manifold, and the truck has 60 lb valve springs.
Im looking for a bit more boost, maybe a mpg or two more, and slightly better performance...i think (please let me k.ow if im wrong) that increasing the timing will help spool the turbos a bit better. The truck has 4:10 gears, so im not as concerned about losing low end torque, as it shouldnt be as noticeable as a truck with 3:55's.
Any input would be appreciated, and recommendations. Is 19-20° reasonable, or shod i keep it lower, say, 18°?

How close are you to Salisbury NC?

Back