Timing slippage....

angelic0-

Ok.... now i'm getting fed up with this ****..

I've tried all the tricks in the book.... no matter what... timing will ALWAYS slip if i get over 65psi of boost ???

what the **** ???

what have you guys been doing to prevent this ???

I even tightened the nut to 160ft.lbs !!!

New lock nut wouldn't hurt and a nut.

I would pull the timing cover off and pull the gear out to insure that it and the shaft is clean.

Where do i get a keyed gear.... url me please..

and i'm not sure if it's boost related and my pump is getting worse or what, but it first happened @ 90 psi, then 70psi and now didn't get past 50psi...

when it first happened i tore my head off thinking i blew a head gasket.. spilling white smoke...

thought it was really wierd that it had blown out all 6 cyl... and wouldn't run...

but... now i know better... just have to find a permanent solution..

Try using electric cleaner and go to 175 ftlbs. Spray the gear and shaft, blow with compressed air, repeat around 5 times. If that dont get it your gear is most likely cracked. Washer and nut from Cummins never hurt either.

I'm thinking about cleaning up the shaft.... boiling it in hot water (to expand it) tighten it up and see where that takes me..

I'm thinking about cleaning up the shaft.... boiling it in hot water (to expand it) tighten it up and see where that takes me..

Excuse my ignorance but won't it cool down by the time you get it bolted back up to the truck?

I had a guy come by my shop one day with the same problem and that's what I done took the cover off inspect the gear and shaft then brake cleaner and air blower method 5 times before installing the gear back on and yes I put loctite on the shaft before installing the gear and applied it to the locking nut tq to 150lbs and it has ran ruffly 5 months no problems till he bought bigger injectors and we were goin to retime the pump and it was a bad day it took a good puller to get it off we broke the pump puller I bought from some diesel shop ended up using a good (steering wheel) style to get it so in my opinion if ur gear is good and not oversized(from slippin) by now I think the cleaner and loctite will fix u up

Last edited:
165ft-lbs and a new nut and washer will do it unless there is another issue. Just my two cents. I had a previous setup which kept slipping and when I installed the new nut and washer the problem went away.

Holy crap you guys going to 175 and 165 are a little crazy, or don't mind breaking pullers trying I get the gear off!

I go to 150, lots of brake cleaner, new lock washer, zero problems up to 4500rpm. I also put a bolt in the gear and wiggle it up and down to get the brake cleaner all the way around the shaft.

If memory serves Cummins revised the specification to 165 ft-lbs.

Yes revised to 165ftlbs and Seth from DPE and Jeff from c
CDS tell me 170ft lbs. and always clean and use new lock.

if you have the front cover and pull the gear off . sand the shaft and the inside of the gear with sum 800-1000 grit paper .. may have some glazing from the oil , because its slipped so many times

had same problem with mine. I end up take a center punch and putting a few punches around the inside of the gear. but don't get to crazy with it and torque it to 160ftlb. IT worked for two years till I bought my adjustable one from got soot. great gear for a good price.

The one time I went 160 I bent my home made 1/2 steel puller trying to get the gear off. It was freakin stuck!

Back