Timing slippage....

Have broke mine loose about ten times maybe more from 165 with no problem. The smoother you can apply the tq the better

Buy the bluepoint puller... its like 30-40 $ and well worth it.

So far that half inch piece of flat steel with two bolt holes in it has been great, if I don't get the gear stuck as sh!t LOL. I just flipped it over and it's been good. Super low profile! Hah

how about using thread lock on the shaft ???

Mine has been loctited for a few years on my 95....great if you don't ever want to change your timing again! LOL

You'll need a blowtorch to get it off if it is loctited.

I am not sure it's possible but as many times as the gear has slipped and been tightened down maybe one or both have too much wear to be tightened and stay properly. As in the gear center might be expanded too far and won't stay on the shaft correctly anymore. It's a theory and maybe something to look into.

Holy crap you guys going to 175 and 165 are a little crazy, or don't mind breaking pullers trying I get the gear off!

I go to 150, lots of brake cleaner, new lock washer, zero problems up to 4500rpm. I also put a bolt in the gear and wiggle it up and down to get the brake cleaner all the way around the shaft.

I usually go no less than 185, never had any problems knock on wood.

I usually go no less than 185, never had any problems knock on wood.

I go 180 whenever I do mine.

Like Jason said, loctite is fine if you never want to remove it again. I'd avoid that myself. Inspect the condition of the gear. If it keeps slipping easier and easier, it may be cracked now.

I have a Scheid gear and Keating Machine front cover that I am using when I go to the 13mm pump. Front cover clears the gear, and a cam retainer, which is useful in high-hp applications, so the cam doesn't walk off towards the back of the block. I think it's like $800 for both.

If you are interested, I have one blem adjustable gear that I would sell for $200 plus core. Will function fine, PM for details. You will never slip your timing again, period.

Jesse

I'd jump all over that deal if I didn't already have an adjustable. Mine was almost 4 times that.

Fixed timing without even taking the front cover off... just to get home...

Had to fix it this way, to get my truck and trailer home, halfway home i had to call dad and ask him to take my 30' home with his 6.5 Suburban...

1001291_10151716801651142_943873898_n.jpg

Screenshot from the video where i'm parking the truck, going to take it home today on a trailer and try the loctite solution, if that's not working.... i'll take that gear for 200$...

I use electrical cleaner on the gear and shaft and let it air dry. Ive always heard brake cleaner and compressed air leave a film residue that will encourage slipped gears.

It might have a burr on the shaft from slipping. One small ding will keep the gear from seating. I'd still go with an adjustable gear though, especially for $200.

Holy crap you guys going to 175 and 165 are a little crazy, or don't mind breaking pullers trying I get the gear off!

I go to 150, lots of brake cleaner, new lock washer, zero problems up to 4500rpm. I also put a bolt in the gear and wiggle it up and down to get the brake cleaner all the way around the shaft.

200ftlbs and forget it. The SAE properties i have seen say you can go upwards of ~250ftlbs till you meet a fatigue issues in the metal. The Nut is weaker then then shaft. Then again people are taking stock headbolts up to 150ftlbs in a cast block and you dont seem them crying that its 12mm..

The way I look at it, why go more than 150-155 if it's holding fine to 4500rpm plus? 200 just seems like it would take a lot of effort to pop the gear off.

True, there is always more then one way to skin a cat. I've never had a problem getting a gear off with this method. To each and their own for the most part.

when mine slipped on a minor setup

18 degrees, stock injectors, and a benched pump, all I did was clean it twice with brake cleaner, new nut and washer, and one drop of Loctite.. the green one.. it hasn't slipped yet... oh it was tightened to 180 ft lbs. but when the better parts go in, im sure I will put in an adjustable gear and cover...

Ok.... timing has stopped slipping... LocTite.. BLUE stuff..

BUT... is it possible that due to slipped timing my head gasket might have blown ??

Because... i can see where there is water sipping from under my head :'(

Back