Timing smoke help

inline6power

more hp than you
On my p pumped 99 got a question. Pump was pin timed at 18 and that's where it was I stalled on the truck. Even though it's at 18 it sound WAY hight and it has a lot of fuel knock and white haze at idle while cold. At temp there is no haze. Now my question is will advancing it even more create more or less idle smoke? Pump is already crazy loud and it kinda drives me crazy but if bumping it up even more will help that is what I will do. Lowering it will quiet the pump down but will that increase my smoke as well? Injectors are a small 7x09 and set for p pump. Truck currently gets 19.2mpg and runs great. Just would be nice to have a quiet pump along with less haze at idle while cold. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

For some reason the ppump 24v like higher timing. Mine was pinned at 24* and ran smooth before I pulled it. That was with the benched 215 pump. I though that was high for a street truck but several said the same thing they like higher timing

For some reason the ppump 24v like higher timing. Mine was pinned at 24* and ran smooth before I pulled it. That was with the benched 215 pump. I though that was high for a street truck but several said the same thing they like higher timing

How loud was your pump? Mine is already crazy loud and it's only at 18 now

It sounded like a normal pump to me. I have never heard any that are crazy loud. It's on the 12v now and it sounds like a normal one to me still. Maybe I am going deaf. Does it change when you bring up the rpm? I wonder if its in the injectors or DVs.

It sounded like a normal pump to me. I have never heard any that are crazy loud. It's on the 12v now and it sounds like a normal one to me still. Maybe I am going deaf. Does it change when you bring up the rpm? I wonder if its in the injectors or DVs.

Could be my dvs. It just sounds like one cylinder had way more fuel knock than the others. I have checked my Lash 3 times and it's dead on. Motor is new and only has 8k miles on it. Deffinetly sounds lout at the pump. Under full load and wot it quiets down considerably

Could be my dvs. It just sounds like one cylinder had way more fuel knock than the others. I have checked my Lash 3 times and it's dead on. Motor is new and only has 8k miles on it. Deffinetly sounds lout at the pump. Under full load and wot it quiets down considerably

Get a laser thermometer and point at each cylinder and if it's one particular cylinder with the fuel knock you should find it quickly.

Sent from my paperweight

Get a laser thermometer and point at each cylinder and if it's one particular cylinder with the fuel knock you should find it quickly.

Sent from my paperweight

If i do find its one cylinder that has a fuel knock would I then be looking at an injector problem or could a dv cause this

If i do find its one cylinder that has a fuel knock would I then be looking at an injector problem or could a dv cause this

When was the last time you had the pop pressure set on the injectors?

Sent from my paperweight

Here is an audio recording. You can hear it when the turbos are spooling. This is very light throttle. It's hard for me to explain the sounds. If someone were to ride in my truck they would be able to hear it better

Dropbox - Fuel knock.m4a

Here is an audio recording. You can hear it when the turbos are spooling. This is very light throttle. It's hard for me to explain the sounds. If someone were to ride in my truck they would be able to hear it better

Dropbox - Fuel knock.m4a

I can hear it but its not extremely clear. 8k shouldn't be enough miles for an injector to get out of wack but it is possible. Have you tried throwing different dv's in?

Sent from my paperweight

I can hear it but its not extremely clear. 8k shouldn't be enough miles for an injector to get out of wack but it is possible. Have you tried throwing different dv's in?

Sent from my paperweight

No I haven't tried a different dv yet. Seth set this pump up and I haven't really messed with it except for moving the plate and timing. Can a dv cause that?

No I haven't tried a different dv yet. Seth set this pump up and I haven't really messed with it except for moving the plate and timing. Can a dv cause that?

I haven't heard of them causing that, but I don't regularly work on P-pumped trucks other than my own. Unfortunately it's Ford country down here lol. If it was me, I would start with the injectors.

Sent from my paperweight

Here is the video of the same pump off the 24v set at 24* on the 12v. If you move the plate back does it quiet down at all?

[ame]http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n373/Chevycummins/12v%20build/video-2012-07-15-19-14-09.mp4[/ame]

And here is the 24v with the same pump at 24*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n373/Chevycummins/truck/VIDEO0001.mp4

Last edited:
Not sure if that last vid loaded correctly. If not its in my albums under the truck album.

Also what cc's you have your pump set at? Maybe it could be from pushing too much through those injectors. It's an idea to think about. Also in your audio clip it kinda sounds like a tick instead of a knock. Maybe I am going deaf lol but sounds more like a ticking noise.

Last edited:
Have you had anyone verify what your timing is? Light or dial indicator? I know my truck was really quiet at 30* of timing and injectors set at 290 bar(7*0.014.") At 25.5* of timing its not much louder if it is at all. I verified with a timing light multiple times. I put my brothers 7*0.012" in that were set at 280 and the engine isn't any louder. I use my mom's 98 24V as a comparison with injectors set at 290 bar as well and my P24V is similar in loudness, if not quieter. Also when comparing it to my brothers 92 F350 12V at 24* of timing mine is far quieter than his.

I do know that my truck loved 30* of timing but I didn't feel that was safe for a street truck as it would haze when cold with the 7*0.014". At 25.5* haze was very minimal in cold temps.

As far as DV's I started with Smokem's Comp DV's and then went to a 181 set. Fuel knock really didn't seem to change when I changed these out though.

Last edited:
Now you guys got me stumped lol. Pump is currently at 280cc of fuel with the plate all the way back. It's at 550cc full forward. It's not really a tick. Hard for me to explain. If you rode or heard the truck up close you would understand what I am talking about. Don't have a timing light but Seth pin timed it at 18. Was installed at tdc so I know it's 18. But pump is definitely loud. It just sounds like it has crazy fuel knock expecially when I first started it cold in the morning. It's crazy loud. This is the only ppumped truck I have owned let alone been around. I do have a couple of stock 12v here at home and my pump is about twice as loud as those

I will take a video of it in the morning when I start it cold and show you the white haze and how loud it is when cold. And by cold I mean it's only 55 degrees in the morning. Other than all that the truck runs great but these little symptoms are bugging the chit out of me.

Back