Timing versus HP comparison.

How do your timing charts compare between pumps?
No timing chart with the new pump. When I get a chance and have someone here to help me I will make one for my notes.
I did get a chance to do some tuning this evening. Looks like the best way to run it is going to be with a valet switch. Not really a fan of them, but it will make it easier to keep the smoke down. Almost no idle haze (90 deg today) and even with no boost going to the afc and the pre-load screw removed it runs pretty strong. Probably 500hp or so. I backed the springs off 1 click, but it isn't enough to keep it from bucking when you put it in gear, even with the idle turned up a bit.

It fuels that much with that little rack travel. Mine is really sensitive to throttle input, I'm guessing Ron's is the same.

X2 I Just got my 13mm on last night, it is very very sensitive, it is set on 500cc's of fuel, but that's only @ 12.5mm of rack travel, Instead of 500cc's @ 20mm of rack travel (where it used to be with 12mm b&p)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

On mine with the afc all the way back, and no air it has 8mm of rack and puts out 230cc w/181dv's. I'm running 024's so it's probably 270cc's or so. Sliding the afc forward get's 10.5mm of rack(no air) and about 390cc. I'm about in the middle so 500hp is probably about right (w/no air) probably a bit more. It made over 950hp with the plate at the rear(520cc 13.8mm rack) and boost going to the afc.
Just a seat of the pants guess, but it's no slouch.

Last edited:
Got it working fine without a valet switch. I won't be letting anyone else here drive it though. i can't get it to idle down in gear so I'll try to keep my around town driving down to a bare minimum. Smoke level is fine taking off and i can even push a little bit on the pedal before the spring starts compressing and lets the afc move forward. When that happens the smoke level comes up and it turns into a different vehicle.

so with this pump it is no longer has to much DD ability?
So far, I have to set the idle a little on the high side and when i put it in gear it starts bouncing. I don't think It would be wise to back the springs off another click, so I will run it like this for now. It is smooth as peach skin out on the road or anything above idle. After i get a chance to play with the 6 hole injectors and 2 more degrees of timing I'll work on it some more.

Last edited:
Got it working fine without a valet switch. I won't be letting anyone else here drive it though. i can't get it to idle down in gear so I'll try to keep my around town driving down to a bare minimum. Smoke level is fine taking off and i can even push a little bit on the pedal before the spring starts compressing and lets the afc move forward. When that happens the smoke level comes up and it turns into a different vehicle.
Did you ever try that afc spring I sent you? Just curious.

Just curious, have you tried putting a gov spring in the AFC yet? Helped big time with my old truck. I was able to hold full fuel until 30 psi and still have full travel. You can also put an electronic boost controller in line with the AFC reference line to fool it until your desired pressure is reached.

Also, my gov springs (garmon's HMB springs) are set super loose and my idle is great. I'm sure the top suffers a little but I've never driven it so fast I needed more rpm. Trial and error! You try, we all learn haha! I love how little throttle I have to give it to drive around, revs really fast too.

Got a chance to tune on the dyno a bit today. I've been wanting to try my SDX style Dv's and Shell L46 racing diesel.
Started out with a base line run with my 7x.013 injectors, 024dv's and 26 deg of timing. It liked the cooler temps and made 1066/1625.
Went to the SDX style DV's with everything else the same and made 1070/1630.
Then bumped the timing to approx 28deg with the SDX dv's and made 1083/1637.
Then added 10 gallons of L46 to the 10 gallons of #2 w/a bit of B100 and made 1069/1607.

I'm still running the plate back at approx 17mm of rack travel so it may have a tiny bit more in it.

RonA

Got a chance to tune on the dyno a bit today. I've been wanting to try my SDX style Dv's and Shell L46 racing diesel.
Started out with a base line run with my 7x.013 injectors, 024dv's and 26 deg of timing. It liked the cooler temps and made 1066/1625.
Went to the SDX style DV's with everything else the same and made 1070/1630.
Then bumped the timing to approx 28deg with the SDX dv's and made 1083/1637.
Then added 10 gallons of L46 to the 10 gallons of #2 w/a bit of B100 and made 1069/1607.

I'm still running the plate back at approx 17mm of rack travel so it may have a tiny bit more in it.

RonA

Wow thats interesting, Id like to see the numbers with changing nothing except pouring in a real hefty dose of grey bottle power service to get the cetane levels really high and add a quart or two of 2 stroke oil; both of my projects really liked that mix added to the red off road fuel that I buy in bulk. It also really added to the nice flame out of the stack at the night races.......

Back