Tire spinning on wheel - options - beadlocks

The Outlaw organization does not allow dual rear wheels so I pulled with singles in the back and spun the rear wheels in the tires pretty good at the big end of the track.

Yesterday I put the duals back on and marked all the tires/wheels. I still spun two back tires on the wheels as well as one front.

What are my options?

I'm thinking of pulling all the tires off and roughing up the bead surface. Would I be crazy to put some "right stuff" on the bead before seating them?

I have no experience with bead locks or screwing the wheels to the tires, is it as simple as that or even possible with a normal BFG A/T's?

How long have the tires been mounted? Was a ton of soap used to mount them?

If they have been mounted a long time, and you don't think lots of soap has been used, get some clear paint, clean the bead of the rim and tire, paint the bead of the rim, let it dry for several hours. Then take it back to a tire shop and see if they will just use some water or something to mount them.

I wouldnt do screws unless you do a ton of them like on a tractor tire/wheel. Ive seen some tires shredded because they didnt use enough scews and tires were ruined.

They have been mounted for quite a while, maybe a year. We used some soap but not an excessive amount. Would it be worth a shot to just rough up the bead surface on the wheel with some sand paper and reseat the bead with no soap?

I'm afraid to do screws and run the risk of ruining both the tire and wheel...

I had that happen to me once and hasn't since but that was right after had them mounted the day before. This last set I told them I wanted bead sealer on it. Will find out how that works since didn't get to pull over the weekend

I usually dont use any type soap or sealer when mounting pulling tires. I think roughing the bead surface and remounting wouldnt hurt. I usually blow the tires on with a tank and havent had any problems getting them to seat.

I took the grinder to the rim on mine and roughed up the surface good used brake clean on the tire to clean the bead mounted them dry which is a huge pain then air'd them up to about 80-90psi and let them sit for a few days I've never had an issue yet knock on wood

Some drag racers will use a punch to peen small divots in the rim's bead area to create small depressions for the tire bead to fill and bite the rim. It actually works quite well to keep the aired down slicks from spinning on the rim.

I'd imagine it would work on a BFG and truck rim as well but no first hand experience.

Use glass cleaner to mount the tires. When it dries it gets really tacky almost like glue.

If your still looking for a solution for the spin. Go to champion bead locks. Travis Myers "the one with the pissed off twin turbo ppumped s10" had them bead lock his rims they look great and dont spin.

I've noticed several of the 3.0 trucks with screws in them this year. I can't say I've seen them on a 2.6 truck yet

I've heard of using hairspray, but never had this probably so I have no real solutions LOL

Well the screws showed up yesterday, I'll see if I can get them put on a couple wheels tonight. 4 out of the 6 tires have been moving on every run.

Only problem I see with the screws is if they spin on the rim it destroys the tire. It seems to happen once or twice a year to some of the gas guys that pull with us.

How bad did they move on you up in Burlington Jct last Friday, sure looked like you had a good hook, that track was pretty dam tacky as well. Wasn't even sure if we were going to be able to have it we got a good shot of rain earlier in the afternoon. Track sure wasn't the best, had a hell of a hump in the middle but it worked I guess. Looked like you had it running good.

I have screws on the inside of my front wheels. they didn't
seal at first so I had to break them back down and used a boatload of bead sealer

What about using silicone or construction adhesive. something like that?

Back