tired of dinking around

stothew

ok I finally decided to quit messing around and get to business. I have a P pumped 4bt and have decided to get the steed speed straight manifold. My question is this...since i can get it in a t3 or t4 do t4's tend to spool quicker? If so, what would be a good small frame t4 turbo? being its only 4 cylinders. I want fast spool and thinking the steed speed will help there to. I looked at some of the garrett gtx turbos and the sizes i like there and t4's have pretty big AR's. thanks for any input.

You will want to keep it T3. Not enough cubic inches on a 4BT for a T4 footed turbo.

kinda what i was thinking, but had to ask. thanks. any advice on turbos? dont have the room for twins.

did you end up with a steed speed manifold khaoskustoms? did you notice an improvement? What A/R would you recomend? how about the new gtx line like a gtx 3071? flows 56 lb. min. or go bigger? haha

anyone think the garrett gtx 3071 would be a good match and how much power you think it could make on a 4b?

so i ordered a Garrett GTX3071R turbo for my setup and now thinking maybe hanging an hx52 i have underneath.

anyone see any problems with this combo?

also, should i use 3" schedule 40 or 2.5" schedule 10 for my hotpipe?

Hx52 was at choke on the turbine side with 360hp. Hx55 would be better suited.

I personally have a garrett gt4202 under a super40.

also, should i use 3" schedule 40 or 2.5" schedule 10 for my hotpipe?

Are you looking for guidance on diameter or wall thickness? There is only 0.025" difference in wall thickness between the two.

Is the primary going to be supported by this pipe or a mount?

more for guidance on ID being too much with the 3" or too little with the 2.5". I'm cautious on using it to support the weight and thinking i have to support the primary by itself.

wow choke with an hx52 at 360. Thats good hp for a 4bt however. or was it choking it before that?

more for guidance on ID being too much with the 3" or too little with the 2.5". I'm cautious on using it to support the weight and thinking i have to support the primary by itself.

What size is the outlet on your secondary? I would try and match that or go slightly bigger which is making me lean toward the 3" pipe (guessing that is about the same size or slightly bigger), but I have no experience with a 4BT's airflow capabilities.

If you are going to use a mount for support, you could use a thinner wall tubing, however it will lose more heat than a thicker walled pipe (comparing two pipes of the same material).

wow choke with an hx52 at 360. Thats good hp for a 4bt however. or was it choking it before that?

I should have said- it was at the peak of it's efficiency. Going over 400 with the 52 will make heat... unless you have the PRO52, then you'll be good to roll upward of 500.

awesome info cumminsfever. thats about where i should set my hp goals anyway. its in a 70 bronco and thats lots of power for it. i need that extra turbo for some of the sand hills and mud i go thru.

so that 52 should spool pretty quick? is the pro 52 physically larger? I dont have much room.

awesome info cumminsfever. thats about where i should set my hp goals anyway. its in a 70 bronco and thats lots of power for it. i need that extra turbo for some of the sand hills and mud i go thru.

so that 52 should spool pretty quick? is the pro 52 physically larger? I dont have much room.

As far as I know, external dimentions are the same.

I started a thread here. "4bt dyno run". That video was a 35/40, hx52. Stock cam. No aneroid. Spool was VERY nice for a turbo of that size.
I'm on a VE pump rampage. I'll stop when it hits 500 on the wheels :)

awesome! Best of luck on the VE rampage. looking forward to follow along in your quest. I took my VE off last year since i got a good deal on a P pump. Is the pro 52 slower to respond?

also...what size hotpipe did you run with it? i see that the OD of the 3" schedule 40 pipe being at 3.5" is going to be tough to match up with the t4 flange

The pro52 shouldn't be much, if any slower in response. As a single charger on a friend's 5.9, we tried both. They responded the same, except the pro had less drive pressure.

I have a 3inch pipe between my turbos. Just standard exhaust tubing. Wrapped. It never broke, and it has the weight of the bottom turbo hanging on it. It is a test vehicle, and if I was doing it for a customer, I'd use a heavier wall pipe, and probly a brace. The vibration of the 4cyl is a killer.

no joke, the vibrations at idle are crazy. but any throttle input they smooth out pretty good i think.

got some work done

Attachments

• DSCN0681.JPG
    DSCN0681.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0673.JPG
    DSCN0673.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0674.JPG
    DSCN0674.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
Back