tming kit barring tool?

gatorskinseats5

whats the barring tool for? would it come in handy with a ppumped 24v or would it not be necessary?

The barring tool is a gear that you attatch to a ratchet. Then you insert the tool through the hole in the flywheel housing and it hits the flywheel and allows you to turn the engine over with the ratchet slowly. I've never used one on one of these engines. I turn mine by the alternator or crankshaft damper.

Sent from my phone. Grammar will suck.

With the alternator, you can only turn the motor over in reverse. If you put a breaker bar on the tensioner, you can add enough belt tension to spin the motor forward but it's a tough one-man job. The barring tool is slow but precise so it's easier to dial in the perfect amount of plunger lift with the timing kit. Timing isn't an exact science so 100% precision isn't necessary in my opinion. The difference between 19 & 20* is so minimal, it's one of those places where on most trucks, precision isn't critical.

I just turn the engine over at the damper with a 15mm socket. 2 people make it a much faster job that way though.

Barring took with long extensions, a swival, and an impact on low.... VERY PRECISE and easy!

yeah well my starter is on the passenger side cause its a ford with a destroked adapter so ill just spin the motor by the balancer like always lol thanks tho

Barring took with long extensions, a swival, and an impact on low.... VERY PRECISE and easy!

I've done this but I welded up my own extension out of some threaded rod. Works like a charm! Way better than rolling under the truck 10 times!

No, it's not pretty enough. Lol I just got tired of my extensions Coming apart. I'm probably going to build one out of some solid rod when I get the time and make t look good. This one is just thrown together

I just turn the engine over at the damper with a 15mm socket. 2 people make it a much faster job that way though.

Problem with that is you can end up overtightening the bolts to bar the engine over. Alternator only goes in reverse. And its tough to watch the dial when you are under the truck on the crank. 3' long extension, swivel and the barring tool is all you need to make it easy and quick for turning the engine over. The added bonus to the barring tool is that when you go torque the pump gear nut, the engine is definitely not going to roll on you.

If you have a manual and you upgrade your clutch you can no longer use the barring tool because of the bigger fly wheel... ask how i know...:bang barring tool just sits in my tool box.

If you have a manual and you upgrade your clutch you can no longer use the barring tool because of the bigger fly wheel... ask how i know...:bang barring tool just sits in my tool box.

You should sell it to me cheap....

You best tell that to my 3 dual disc clutches that they won't work. The ring gear is still the same diameter, or the starter wouldn't engage. If its the 13" flywheel that has the ring gear moved forward, the barring tool won't go in the hole as far, but it will certainly still work.

You best tell that to my 3 dual disc clutches that they won't work. The ring gear is still the same diameter, or the starter wouldn't engage. If its the 13" flywheel that has the ring gear moved forward, the barring tool won't go in the hole as far, but it will certainly still work.

My mistake Tate I should have said if you have an upgraded clutch that requires a starter spacer like some dual disk clutches you can't use the barring tool.

Last edited:
Unless i missed something, it's been a few years. If I remember correctly when I looked through the access hole the teeth on my Valair didn't leave enough room to fit my barring tool. You make me want to go check.

It def works with my 3250dd which requires a starter spacer and I agree it's a great tool to have in the drawer I use it all the time

If the starter still works, the barring tool will still work. Same diameter. Like I said, it moves the ring gear forward. I've had it where if you're pushing the tool in as you turn (helps 3' of extensions not pop out), it can bind. Had it happen once or twice.

Hmmm.. Ill have to take a look again. I opened up the access hole a few years ago and I thought it looked like it wasn't lined up anymore. Looks like the whole time I could have been using my barring tool! Thanks guys.

My compounds have made getting access to the barring port a pain in the ass. Last timing change (first with the compounds) was when I had just put timing cover back on after welding cam gear to cam so I had more room. Hoping I have little reason to change timing again with the fan and everything back on the front of the motor.

Back