to O-ring or not

bags1010

Rockstar
I am rebuilding a 98 12 valve. I have many questions to ask, but for now, I need to know if I should o-ring the head while its off and at the machine shop or not. I have a stock cummins headgasket with the 12mm ARP studs. The block and head have both been surfaced and measured and I am still within the stock gasket thickness. My machine shop guy is telling me that the o-ring deal will not last long and that I should just put it back together and torque it correctly with studs. He wants another $350 to cut and install the o-rings and will not stand behind any of it. I will be running a single large turbo with some large injectors from Industrial injection. It will be a daily driver as well with around 20,000 miles a year on it. Thanks.

:Cheer:

Last edited:
if you can stand the little extra down time.......... then ya you should.

Since you already have it off, it will save a lot of hassle in the future.

Lance

Yes get it done but get the information of groove and wire from the guys on here and have your guy do it to the specifications the guys on here say.

oring it, but find another guy. doesnt sound like he is very confident or intelligent. 2 traits needed for a good machinist

Get it done right or you'll have it apart again sooner than later.

Back