To port or not? 800hp ppump 24v

Resolute_weldin

I've finally gotten my trans sorted out to hold that kind of power. 160 pump sitting at the house as well as studs, springs, and pushrods. The truck has a 362 and stainless manifold on it. Could I get a couple of pointers as far as what size DVs and injectors I should be looking at. Also can I get by with an s475 or should I step up to an 80? I'll be running a cam as well. 181 or 188. But is porting necessary at this level?

I would say at that power goal it's kind of unnecessary. You'd be better off using the couple hundred dollars to get a 180/215 pump than porting IMO.

In my opinion, unless you're running a high rpm puller or competitive drag truck, porting is pretty low on the hp vs. cost ratio. You might gain 10% hp on a moderate port job but it's nothing another 5 psi of boost would make on a well thought out turbo setup. I'd spend the cash on a benched pump with the governor shimmed nicely. For 800hp on a mechanically injected truck I'd look at a 76-80mm primary charger.

I like the idea of increased VE. Going to make the same power at lower boost, which means you'll run cooler and more efficient. If those things matter, say if you're daily driving the truck, then I'd do it.

volumetric efficiency into the combustion chamber doesn't always translate into more power, or a cooler air charge…especially if your going about it by hogging out the intake/exhaust ports and bowl blending. way more variables in it than that. like already discussed, the entire setup needs to be considered before dumping the money to shave off the shelf and porting. there is something to be said about port velocity, pressures at low rpms, fueling, trans setup, blah blah blah

its irresponsible to ask or answer a question like, "should I", because the truck will drive significantly different and its based a lot off opinion whether or not it will be "better".

imo, if the head isn't already off the motor needing machine work, leave it on. once you blow a hg or need some other work done, a set of bigger valves, few hours of blending the bowls of the port, and a multi-angle valve job will yield surprising results without sacrificing optimal airflow at rpm's less than 3500

Alright so head will be staying on. Looks like I'll be looking at an s480 unless a better deal comes up as well.

Someone made the comment of ditching the 160 pump... Would a balanced and maxed 160 with springs and DVs be good enough for a weekend truck?

Thanks for the input everyone.

Buy the best pump you can afford, it is the greatest variable in how much power you can produce. Choose the proper sized turbocharger(s) for your power goals and driving characteristics. The rest of the parts are of less importance, but the key is to make sure everything works together, otherwise you can spend a lot of money and end up with something that doesn't run as it should.

Back