Too much for stock motor?

armageddon

This is in a 1995 tractor mud truck on 72" tractor tires, only mods to drivetrain are removed fuel plate, not sure if AFC was tuned by previous owner, 4k valve springs and gsk, shift kit in tranny, truck runs strong, but looking for a little more power, Previous owner says just add 5 x 14 injectors and 66 mm turbo, what kind of power would that make and is that too much with no head studs and pretty much a stock auto tranny? Just bought truck and runs great, also 2 switches were installed on dash which i was told 1 was a overdrive lockout and the other was a convertor lockout(supposedly wouldn't shift gears if in the on position), both seem to be spliced into wiring harness in dash. convertor lockout i don't think worked, I believe it still shifted, so probably going to remove and just shift manually on the column. Does a manufacturer also make a slap/ratchet shifter for these transmissions?
New to the forum and cummins, so thanks in advance, look forward to learning more.

I think a 66 would be laggy and annoying, I'd go with a 62mm, it may have just a bit of lag but should spool fairly quick. Get a good set of delivery valves and bump your timing up to around 18. Retorque your head bolts to 125 ft lbs. Your transmission won't like it for very long but it should make decent power.

upgrade

I am so new to this diesel, when you say delivery valves, is that the same as injectors. Guy I bought from said injectors and turbo. Do I need delivery valves and injectors or 1 or other or both. Are they hard to do and what kind would you recommend. also what turbo would you recommend? would it be direct replacement or do I need to change tubing. And good places to buy these from.

any pictures of the truck? i picked up a set of 20 ton planetary axles and tires the same size. i would like to do something like that with my truck

Look first get a strong auto behind it cause even now with no plate and pulling those tires it is on borrowed time. I would say look into a fully built auto with a full manual vb for the mud. A 66 will be hot and laggy if it were me i would run a 64 or a 62. If a 64 wont make the power you want then do compounds. By the way that search bar works search delivery valves :rules:

Not being mean but you may just want to take your truck to a shop and have them do the work for you. It will save you alot of time and money to have it done right the 1st time. Use the search feature to find the combination of delivery valves, injectors and turbo you want and learn about them.

upgrades

I would consider going that route, but not sure on who to contact around here north of tampa and it is 11'2" tall so I need somebody willing to work on it. Just the beginning stage of research. Putting a cage in it for sure now. I know the truck has been built for over 2 years and has had the crap beat out of it by previous owner and has been in many mud bog videos and has not had any problems. Now its parked in my yard being the first dodge i couldn't pass it up and dug it this last weekend in perry without any problems at all, knock on wood. Thinking of changing the quick change gears in the profab transfer case to turn tires faster also. It does dig like a beast now. Looking for ideas, don't need to get crazy with power, wouldn't mind a little more. I will post pics tomorrow. thanks for ideas in advance, i do appreciate everybodys ideas. A Dodge diesel mud truck is definately new to me.

too much on stock motor

pics of truck

Attachments

• diesel 002.jpg
    diesel 002.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • diesel 004.jpg
    diesel 004.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • diesel 005.jpg
    diesel 005.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • diesel 006.jpg
    diesel 006.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • diesel 007.jpg
    diesel 007.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Truck looks really familiar. Where are you from? I just might know the guy who has worked on it.

Atleast you can stand on that platform to work on it.

It came from Jacksonville. I know who you bought it from. I've also taken a lot of pics of that truck. I would say take it to Darren Morrison in Cairo, Ga. He has worked on several of these big trucks before. He will get you on the right path. I told Dustin to do a built trans 62mm and 5x14's. Then change the gears in the case. The two switches are to call lockup and overdrive. Not lockout switches. If those switches aren't flipped it will not go into a either lockup or overdrive. The only reason that stock trans has lasted this long is the major gearing in the trans.

sent from the head of a trail of destruction.

Oh and not too much for a stock motor. You can ask Dustin about my truck. With a basically stock motor (timing, pump work, 5x14 injectors) I put down 415 HP to the wheels. I tried to get dustin to do the exact combo I have in the mudtruck, but never could convince him.
Darren's number- +1-229-672-1036

sent from the head of a trail of destruction.

Another option for someone to help with this is Matt Wells. He is familiar with that truck from the original builder and works on a lot of them. 904 509 6288 in Middleburg fl.

upgrades

awesome guys, now i am feeling alot better especially because it sounds like some of you know about what it has and what it could use. phooker, use said you had timing, pump work and 5x14s, did you do trans work also and how much power do you think dustins truck made vs. yours? I was also thinking of lowering the gears in the transfer case($185), which i know will help on turning the tires and decrease the stress on everything. I am in hudson,north of tampa 1 hour. Hoping someone close to work on. Also the 2 switches on the dash not sure did much when switched, you mention "to call lockup an overdrive, not lockout" I have no idea what that means? I was going to put a cage in it and possibly put a shifter in it. would that be better, dustin said he mainly left it in drive. however @ perry last weekend, one time though when i got in some serious mud it seemed like i almost got stuck and was bogging(2nd or 3rd not sure) which it did not downshift, so i stopped, pulled it down into 1rst and it walked right out with some nice tires speed. Do they make a ratchet shifter for this tranny also? Was also looking at 30.5 x 32s rice and canes, will these be too big for the 5 ton rears on this truck also? I know alot of questions and ideas, but want to throw out what direction I would like to go. Thanks for everybodies help and ideas.

Scs cheetah gate, or b&m pro ratchet. I have the b&m and I drive it on the street every day and I love it.

I know that truck also...it's a well built ride. I'll forego the standard "do a search" comment, because you've clearly got a lot more going on with that truck right now. As stated Darren will hook you up.

If it were mine I would skip the single charger and do a tried and true, basic twin setup like an HX40/HT3B and some 5x14's. You can do that set of twins for the same price (or less) than a good single. That would spool quick as phuck off the line with those insane low gears and the could make some serious power. Darren's AFC tuning and some ARP studs and you're good to go.

Also, in a packed place like Perry, that HT3B charger screaming would really turn some heads, too. Those things sound really pissed off when they light. :rockwoot:

shifter

I know it sounds bad, but what tranny is this considered to order thru summit.

Back