Too much Fuel Filtration?

USMCShooter

BrokeandSmiling
Having just built and broken in my engine, with it far overbuilt for how hard I'll be running it (1000+hp capable), I'll be running it around 700-ish to keep from breaking the G56. I want the engine to last as long as possible, hence nearly all new parts went into it with the exception of the Block, Head, valves, and exhaust manifold....literally everything else is new down to rocker arms. With the money I spent on Injectors and pump, and knowing the cleaner the better, I've been running the 2-micron airdog filter, and also bought the Glacier 2-micron big line....I'm just waiting on fittings to fit it to the true "big line" (1/2 inch) of the airdog system.
My question is, has anyone else done this? I don't think given the stock line size vs. the 1/2 inch line, that I'll have flow issues....just wondering if others have done this.

Gunner

Last edited:
Having just built and broken in my engine, with it far overbuilt for how hard I'll be running it (1000+hp capable), I'll be running it around 700-ish to keep from breaking the G56. I want the engine to last as long as possible, hence nearly all new parts went into it with the exception of the Block, Head, valves, and exhaust manifold....literally everything else is new down to rocker arms. With the money I spent on Injectors and pump, and knowing the cleaner the better, I've been running the 2-micron airdog filter, and also bought the Glacier 2-micron big line....I'm just waiting on fittings to fit it to the true "big line" (1/2 inch) of the airdog system.

My question is, has anyone else done this? I don't think given the stock line size vs. the 1/2 inch line, that I'll have flow issues....just wondering if others have done this.

Gunner
You're gonna go and make me look to see what mine is plumbed with....

I'm almost certain mine is 1/2" between the air dog and fleece fuel distribution block. 3/8" return.

2 micron is a little tight in my opinion, but if it maintains fuel pressure than so be it. We had issues with X15's setting 0559 codes with either 5 or 10 micron filters before their first service interval.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Biggy-I've researched across several forums, as well as talking to Bosch and a couple of injector companies, they all seem to recommend 2 Microns for best life of pump/injectors....There seems to be some confusion as to what came with the trucks in the stock filter housing, but my research shows 5-7 microns is the general consensus. Given the physics involved, I can only imagine the cleaner the better...but I'll have to closely watch the lift pump pressures once I stand on it the first time. If it holds it's normal 15psi, I'll leave both....cheaper to change filters than injectors!

The average human hair is 75 microns in thickness as a reference on what 2 microns would amount to.
I wouldn't recommend against running a 2 micron filter, but you should figure on changing that filter quite often. I'd carry one or two with you.

Gunner
Micron ratings really don’t mean much; a manufacturer can skew those numbers easily. What challenges a filter manufacturer is making a filter with a good beta ratio. This is the efficiency of the filter. In other words, how effective is that filter at trapping(and holding!) those 2 micron particles? I type slowly so I’ll skip to the end of this rant: If you can run a Caterpillar fuel filter somehow, do it! AFSI(Advanced Filtration Systems) has been making unmatched filters for Cat since 1986.

Micron ratings really don’t mean much; a manufacturer can skew those numbers easily. What challenges a filter manufacturer is making a filter with a good beta ratio. This is the efficiency of the filter. In other words, how effective is that filter at trapping(and holding!) those 2 micron particles? I type slowly so I’ll skip to the end of this rant: If you can run a Caterpillar fuel filter somehow, do it! AFSI(Advanced Filtration Systems) has been making unmatched filters for Cat since 1986.
I second this.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

There is also a difference between relative and absolute micron rating on filters.

Everything you/we are seeing in the fuel filtration world is likely relative micron rating.

I knew what it was but could not think or the terminology. I intended to come back to it and find it but never got the chance.
Non-linear loading is all I could come up with.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

The average human hair is 75 microns in thickness as a reference on what 2 microns would amount to.
I wouldn't recommend against running a 2 micron filter, but you should figure on changing that filter quite often. I'd carry one or two with you.

Thanks Snedge....I already carry a water separator and filter for the AirDog in my truck as spares....I'll just add one of these. It's a Glacier kit, but I'll look up the CAT filters as well....I currently change the AirDog 2 micron at every oil change....between 5000-7500 miles....I'm willing to spend the money on Oil and Filters for both systems to save myself another $15K down the road.

Back