Tooth skip new gaskets why not.

Sutter1stgen

Short for my weight
Well stackx2 and I decided to dig into the old brown truck today. Tappet covers been leaking for years. The gasket was about as brittle a tater chip. On top of that we decided it be good to jump a tooth of timing and reseal the front cover. We marked the tooth at the factory location and rotated it clockwise a tooth. Put her all back together and had no real hiccups. Just wondering how much more rattle some of you guys noticed after the tooth skip. I'm running 6x16s so I wonder if I should have gone 2 teeth. Just some thoughts from you guys.

O by the way we took it for a little spin on the back roads and I though I'd role on it half way through 1st. Well tires broke free once everything spooled and it barked twice as it shifted into second. She scoots pretty well now.

Eric

If you need more, you can just put it to the head too. A skipped tooth plus to the head should be darn near 30 or more.

You need to figure out how much converter slippage you have, you might have a higher stall than you think. Either way I'd say you should be close to 400 now. Did your EGT go down?

I pulled it down almost to the timing marks and it sounded pretty docile. So we put it to the head and it sounded as if we never touched it. So I'm wonder what happend. I'm going to get a hold of a timing light and see where it sits now. I'm going to feel like a big jack a$$ if we some how marked it wrong with the paint pin, or just goofed up period.:bang
My egt are at like 1500 staying in it for a while. With the ksb on its around 1450. But I just can't hear the difference from when we started. Either way the thing flat out rips.

You won't hear the timing except for very low rpm or light load situations. Once boost is up, it will just sound mean. Stab the throttle at about 1000-1200rpm and it should rattle a little.

Well we should have rotated the timing gear train to see where the timing marks lined up before we buttoned everything up. Rookie move, I know. Before we worked on it, it sounded pretty mean at 12-1400 rpm at a light load with the ksb on. I though jumping a tooth would produce the same effect with the ksb off. We didn't get that effect. It feels exactly the same, and sounds the same. I'm either going to find a timing light sometime this week or pull the timing cover back off and check by sight.:doh:

What's the butt dyno say?? I could tell a 15hp difference I had in a street car years ago I had so much seat time in it....

Well, it pulled pretty good. And egts were down a bit. I'm still going to double check though. It will help me sleep at night. I'd hate to go get on the real dyno again and hear them call out the same numbers as last time hahaha

C8EE17F0-4DBE-4E79-A3AD-ED8DA5B1B086-2717-00000CE3BADF567C_zpsb4dabb3c.jpg

Well we are back at it. We decided to inspect what went wrong. 10 min in we are at this poin. And the wife's are making enchiladas. Good start to a Friday.

B8ED3984-8AB1-47CD-8D7B-6FE25C5C5AE8-2739-00000CEE91745205_zpsd82c1c8f.jpg

Well we got her right this time. And we got her bottoned up right as dinner was finished.
We will see how she runs on the way home.

very interested on how it acts, how far did you have the pump turned for timing?
jon

Last edited:
We are going to back the pump off so the timing is at about 20*, that way when he flips the ksb switch it jumps up to 27*. He says he will fine tune it with a timing light later.

Allright! Finally should see those injectors do some work!

Well we got it buttoned back up! I didn't get to see how she runs but she does sound pretty wicked! Can't wait to hear how it runs.

Well she comes on real soft like a ve. Then the last 3/4 throttle hang on. The butt dyno says we did something right!! Thanks Jason these injecters are fun!!

Looks to me like John's the only one getting dirty. Glad to hear you got it going. I need to check my timing soon.

Well Ron we have a game plan. I worknon the pump side and he the front side. We both wouldn't fit up there. Hahaha. And someone had to take pics.

That's awesome! You should hit Sac raceway sometime and see what it does! All you need is a helmet down to 11s....

Yeah it's 3/4 of a mile from the inlaws. Might have to go down one of these night before winter and score some brownie points as well with the mrs.. I have the tv cable as tigh as I can get it. But my 2-3 shift is a tad too soon still. It shifts at like 50 mph. And I don't feel comfortable manually shifting it. Maybe I could put a ratchet shifter in it.

Or adjust the valve body. There is an adjustment you can do to help delay the shifts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back