Top 10 VE hp list?

At that time: HT3B into a 62/14, 181/210 cam, ported head, Hellman IC, Scheid 6x.016s and the other usual mess.

Since swapped in a 188/220. :pop:

When I swapped the 181/210 for the 188/220 I gained 30-35hp on the same dyno. BC Did you see any gains on the street/track/dyno after the swap?

Stomp

If anyone is interested.

On 1/18/2003 I did 316hp on fuel only and 338 with propane.

Setup included: Stock head/gasket/bolts, Stock fuel pin, Bradley's Diesel Injection Service turned up my pump, Honed out 370's, Bully Dog propane system, Stock clutch, Stock lift pump, pretty much bone stock.

In OCT/2004 I did 420hp on #2 only and 520hp with water/meth and propane.

Setup included: Stock head/gasket/bolts, Full HX40/16 with a Pacbrake hanging on the back, Bradley’s Diesel Injection Service modified 12mm pump with a stock modified fuel pin, Honed out 370’s injectors, Carter pusher into the stock lift pump, stage 2 snow performance water/meth with 2/625 nozzles, Bully Dog Propane system, LUC Cerametallic clutch,

3-25-2005 I did 439.4hp on fuel only with a 12mm and with water/meth I did 532.1hp.

Ok my combo for the above numbers was:
Full HX40/16 (with modified wastegate controller) over a HT3B/26, Piers Diesel Research stage 2 ported/polished/ 0-ringed head, 60# valve and exhaust springs, ARP studs, Bradley’s Diesel Injection Service modified 12mm pump with a stock modified fuel pin, Honed out 370’s injectors, FASS, stage 2 snow performance water/meth with 2/625 nozzles, LUC Cerametallic clutch.

For my 644 and 899hp setup I used:

Ponci built motor with cut stock pistons with the small bowls, Hamilton Cams 188/220 and full upper end assembly for the head (tappets, push tubes, springs), Full HX40/16 (with modified wastegate controller and drilled divider) over a BTH3B/26, Piers Diesel Research stage 2 ported/polished/ 0-ringed head, ARP Studs, Bradley’s Diesel Injection Service/Ponci’s Diesel Center modified 14mm pump with a KTA head/rotor and a Denny T stage 1 pin, FASS, Dynomite Diesel 100LPM injectors, stage 2 snow performance water/meth with 2/625 nozzles, 2 stage NX nitrous system, Tim Worline Coolertubz intake setup, PDR intercooler, South Bend Dual Disk 3250 street clutch.

New motor: I thought Ponci was going to help me which he did. He handed me the Cummins book and told me that I needed to do it by myself. I can’t say that I was very happy about his decision because I thought we would have it together in no time. Instead it took a little longer than expected, but the good news it runs and I did the majority of the work by myself.

I did however see him come over and check on me throughout the day and I know he went over and looked at it when I wasn’t around.

New motor specs: similar to the above setup except I put a 35/40/14 on top of the 3B, and I will be putting my 12mm pump back on with my honed out 185’s. We also put a water bypass on the back of the head that runs up and T's into the elbow for the top radiator hose. Ponci also had the machine shop modify the pistons a little different this time. Hopefully it will be back on the road in a couple of weeks.

I may or may not have left some things out so if something comes to mind I will let everyone know. I have had a pretty open book about what I have done over the years.

Stomp

When I swapped the 181/210 for the 188/220 I gained 30-35hp on the same dyno. BC Did you see any gains on the street/track/dyno after the swap?
I didn't really see much of a gain in peak hp as I did broadening the power band. My primary goal in swapping from the 181/210 to the 188/220 was to see the power move to the left in terms of a dyno-plot. The thought being to improve the lower rpm breathing so as to take better advantage of the VE's low rpm fueling.

- Street driving sees it git-up and go a little peppier (running larger injectors) with part-throttle.
- Daggum successful in moving the power to the left. I'm having issues launching at 2200rpm and above with 25ish psig boost as the tires break loose in 4WD coming out of the hole. Have to launch a little easier till I can learn to drive it again. Of coarse, that means a slower ET. :(. 60's are typically around 1.73 @ 6400# @ 250ish ft/elevation.
- Over the last year, I've quit going to dynos to see what I can put down. I can't seem to have my chit together when I get there. Twice now I've dicked around with it only to later find I was effectively in a valet-mode because the AFC wasn't working for one reason or another. Screw it. I go now to simply dial in the injection event timing and such.

I think the swap from a 181/210 to a 188/220 is a good move for the VE fueled truck.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested.

VERY interesting Stomp. I'm curious as to why you dropped the propane setup? Was your motivation for adding propane in the first place fuel economy rather than power?

Did get the Getrag tag along happily throughout this progression of power increase?

--Eric

VERY interesting Stomp. I'm curious as to why you dropped the propane setup? Was your motivation for adding propane in the first place fuel economy rather than power?

Did get the Getrag tag along happily throughout this progression of power increase?

--Eric

I was only gaining 22.2HP and 49.7hp on the dyno. I bought one of the first kits that Bully Dog made and it worked pretty well for a while until I started turning up the fuel. Since propane is just another fuel I was way over fueled and didn’t have enough air to properly support it with my stock turbo. I did however use it for mileage a couple of times and was gaining 4-5mpg if I left it on during a long trip. I don’t really think it was very cost effective by the time you had to fill up both tanks, but I never really did figure it out because I was young and dumb at the time.

I dropped the propane when I lifted my head and blew the gasket at the track. Propane detonates differently than diesel and I wasn’t really seeing the HP gains that I wanted to so that is the reason I took it off. Well there was that and Ponci told me that he would not work on it anymore if I left the propane system on it.

I also had an experience when I left the propane on and was using my exhaust brake to slow down after showing off to one of my friends. :badidea: I guess it built up and ka-boooom I saw an 8 foot flame come shooting out of my exhaust. Motor started knocking for a couple of seconds and then it leveled out and ran fine. Scared the crap out of me and my buddy when it happened.

As for the Getrag my first one went out before I heard that you actually needed to overfill them by 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of oil. I replace it with a used one and over filled it and I am still running it today. In 2010 Ponci went through it and replaced all of the bearings and shift forks and gave it a once over. He told me the main shaft could be better and we were going to replace it, but we couldn’t find a new one because I guess they don’t make them anymore? He cleaned it up and put it back in.

I don’t think it likes the power, but it has never let me down. For the most part I usually just run in valet at 450hp or so. If it ever decides to go out I will be putting an automatic in its place.

Stomp

Thanks for the info guys! Where are you finding the best spot for timing to be?

I was only gaining 22.2HP and 49.7hp on the dyno. I bought one of the first kits that Bully Dog made and it worked pretty well for a while until I started turning up the fuel. Since propane is just another fuel I was way over fueled and didn’t have enough air to properly support it with my stock turbo. I did however use it for mileage a couple of times and was gaining 4-5mpg if I left it on during a long trip. I don’t really think it was very cost effective by the time you had to fill up both tanks, but I never really did figure it out because I was young and dumb at the time.

I dropped the propane when I lifted my head and blew the gasket at the track. Propane detonates differently than diesel and I wasn’t really seeing the HP gains that I wanted to so that is the reason I took it off. Well there was that and Ponci told me that he would not work on it anymore if I left the propane system on it.

I also had an experience when I left the propane on and was using my exhaust brake to slow down after showing off to one of my friends. :badidea: I guess it built up and ka-boooom I saw an 8 foot flame come shooting out of my exhaust. Motor started knocking for a couple of seconds and then it leveled out and ran fine. Scared the crap out of me and my buddy when it happened.

As for the Getrag my first one went out before I heard that you actually needed to overfill them by 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of oil. I replace it with a used one and over filled it and I am still running it today. In 2010 Ponci went through it and replaced all of the bearings and shift forks and gave it a once over. He told me the main shaft could be better and we were going to replace it, but we couldn’t find a new one because I guess they don’t make them anymore? He cleaned it up and put it back in.

I don’t think it likes the power, but it has never let me down. For the most part I usually just run in valet at 450hp or so. If it ever decides to go out I will be putting an automatic in its place.

Stomp

Does the Getrag shift like the 4500? I like your truck do you have anymore pics if it?

Why did you decide to drop the 14mm pump stomp?

I want to get some miles on this motor before I decide to call Sands out and start thrashing on it. We only had about 400 miles on my last one before I started spraying the crap out of it with the Nitrous and Water/meth. I have some training down in the city over the next couple of months so I figured I would drive it and have the company pay me for the mileage.

I also didn’t want it to haze while sitting in the rush hour traffic so I figured I would turn it down and enjoy it for a while. I can still remember when it was fun to drive. Maybe even make a couple of runs with the 12mm on it to see if I can set a couple of records before swapping out the pump and seeing how close we can get to beating Sands numbers.

I have 3- 14mm pumps so don’t worry I am not dropping it just setting them aside for right now.

Stomp

Thanks for the info guys! Where are you finding the best spot for timing to be?

Daily driving I like 18-21 degrees and when I am on the dyno I like it up around 27-29. Just remember each and every pickup/motor is going to be a little different.

Does the Getrag shift like the 4500? I like your truck do you have anymore pics if it?

For the most part I think it does, but it has been a while since I drove one with a 4500 in it. I do believe that the 4500 is a little smoother and you don’t have to throw it so far to get it in 5th gear. My Getrag seems pretty notchy when going through the gears.

Stomp

Here are some pitures. Sorry if I highjacked the thread.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351741303667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351741303667.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351741328473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351741328473.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351741359252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351741359252.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351741390031.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351741390031.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Here are some pitures. Sorry if I highjacked the thread.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Nice truck. I wouldn't worry about hijacking. I think the ve motor is a great Cummins that doesn't get a lot of recognition. It can make power.

love the color of that truck ha :D and btw i want that motor :drooling: i wish. maybe someday..

Back