torque converter help

cyclone

cyclone diesel
working on a ve pumped truck have the fuel for 550hp but the transmission has no lockup
i need a torque converter for a 518 dodge tranny that will work for stop light to stop light racing as well as 1/4 mile and day to day driving
it pulls hard now from 30 to 70 but needs help off the line and bout 95 feels like it is slipping

any old farts on here that had the ricky bobby disase before lockup was a option?

You might try Phil Taylor (Slowpoke) for some advise...He's an Old Fart!!!! LOL

He does the coverters out of Jeff Garmon's shop....He may know something about them...

If you need a number for him...let me know...

Home Page

Give these guys a call, get there converter with the steel stator.

My brothers truck with a 518 runs low 11's with there converter.

We dont have a tach in my brothers truck, but he runs a 66/71/14 and about 23* of timing and is able to spool it without any problems. The converter in his truck is about as tight as they can go, if you are planning on a bigger charger then you may want to go a little looser, but then again with the VE you might be fine.

What size turbo is going on the truck?

I'm not sure on stall, the trucks that i have put them in didn't have tachs in them either. One of the trucks that we put one in is a guy by the name of Tom Collins, he's run mid 12's with his VE pump truck. I'll try to get a hold of him and ask, if not you can call and talk to Rod or Mike and they'll set it up however you want it.

Either Spec-Rite or Goerend can make a converter that will make you forget about lock up transmissions. Mine held 450 at the wheels just fine. You using a 14mm head on that VE?

Either Spec-Rite or Goerend can make a converter that will make you forget about lock up transmissions. Mine held 450 at the wheels just fine. You using a 14mm head on that VE?
:bang: Stupid me, I forgot about Goerand, Dave will make sure your happy with his converter.

I saw Cory had a link and didn't even have to click it because I already knew what it was. I think Cole and Tom are running the same converter.

Either way, Goerand or Spec Rite can build what you want

i have a 14mm head ve pump timing at 20 degrees 62/71/14 turbo 5x16 injectors
the customer wants to pop a wheelie with all throttle and no bottle

Remember to run a lot of inlet pressure to that 14mm VE and loctite the front seal to make it live....

i have a 14mm head ve pump timing at 20 degrees 62/71/14 turbo 5x16 injectors
the customer wants to pop a wheelie with all throttle and no bottle

1st Gen's like 6 hole injectors better, so you'd be better off with either a set of 6X.016's or 6X.018's.

And for what it's worth, Dave Goerend is the only man I'd ever let touch my transmission.

why don't you just put a 47RH in the thing and call it good, you'll have a mechanical lockup trans, able to run any converter brand multi disc, and have much more freeway capabilities. I know the well build 518 converters from some guys help a ton, but you can't beat a true lock up! especially if you are already putting tons of money into a ve pump to make 550hp, why try to test the limits of a 518 non lockup at all?

Keep it old school!!! Non lockup converters work. A good converter pretty much goes to 1 to 1, Just takes longer to get there. Lockup converters where built for fuel mileage.

Back