Torqueing ARP 14mm head studs

don't know that there would be a difference in 12 or 24V torquing but, I have mine torqued to 150 ft. lbs. I did 4 retorques within a month and at every torque the nut moved a 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Guess that will depend on whether you have rings and how thick the gasket is too

ARP dosen't offer 14mm head studs, 9/16 are comming , but not 14 mm

Assuming you mean 14mm A1 headstuds these are their recomendations:

Coat all threads and washers with ARP assembly lube.
Torque to 50, 100, 125, 150. Then re-torque to 150.
Retorque procedure:
1. run truck until it reaches temp.
2. retorque studs to 150 while engine is HOT
3. check valve clearance
4. repeat in about a week.

ok i guess not arp just knew they were 14s and II. told me ARP but i guess they ment A1 i find out for sure thanks for the specs

Assuming you mean 14mm A1 headstuds these are their recomendations:

Coat all threads and washers with ARP assembly lube.
Torque to 50, 100, 125, 150. Then re-torque to 150.
Retorque procedure:
1. run truck until it reaches temp.
2. retorque studs to 150 while engine is HOT
3. check valve clearance
4. repeat in about a week.
Torquing a studs hot is not advisable. When a engine is at operating temperature the block and head expand, called thermal expansion . When you torque a fastener at in this state , the clamping load will be less. When an engine cools down the fastener will have less clamping load then the same torque value at room temperature .

Engineering spens a lot of time and money developing torque specs for a given fastener, based on a clamp load assessment , this is done at room temperature . It could be calculated at operating temperature , but most people do not assemble a hot engine

There are a lot of myths out there about fasteners and the different methods to achieve more clamping loads, the best advise is to listen to those that have the science behind them,.
Clamp load is clamp load , whether it’s a bigger fastener , or a stronger fastener as in the case of the ARP new age 625 . These fasteners have a calculated yield , if you exceed this stated yield you are stretching these fastener and effectively damaging them .

I have 14mm ARP"'s in my truck because they say it right on top of the stud. They are black just like the 2000 12mm and have the hex head in the top to install the stud. They are not the glass bead grey finish like the A1 so if ARP does not make 14mm and 9/16 are not out yet, then what did i get two years ago? This is a serious question not being a smartass. I will take some pic to post up. The block was drilled and tapped and the head reamed. Tim

you probably have 12's. It may say ARP but, likely doesn't say their size ? I'm pretty sure A1 is the only company that makes 14's.

Im know the differnce between 12 and 14mm. Im telling you what i have and i will take pics. This aint my first rodeo. Tim

No need to be offended, A1 does also make black studs. I believe there's three different colors of studs they make.

Scheid and Haisley commissioned A1 to make 14mm studs because no one else did. Greg is a big dealer for ARP so if putting two and two together.... ARP doesn't make 14mm. You say you have them so... something is out of sync

Im know the differnce between 12 and 14mm. Im telling you what i have and i will take pics. This aint my first rodeo. Tim

Post these pics as I too would like to see these "ARP" 14mm studs. Not calling you a liar at all there Tim, just would like to see these.

I am sponsored by ARP and I know they don't make 14mm head studs for the Cummins cuz I would have bought them over the ARP 625s and I even asked my buddy there who is the director for specialty products......

Joe

Torquing a studs hot is not advisable. When a engine is at operating temperature the block and head expand, called thermal expansion . When you torque a fastener at in this state , the clamping load will be less. When an engine cools down the fastener will have less clamping load then the same torque value at room temperature .

Engineering spens a lot of time and money developing torque specs for a given fastener, based on a clamp load assessment , this is done at room temperature . It could be calculated at operating temperature , but most people do not assemble a hot engine

There are a lot of myths out there about fasteners and the different methods to achieve more clamping loads, the best advise is to listen to those that have the science behind them,.
Clamp load is clamp load , whether it’s a bigger fastener , or a stronger fastener as in the case of the ARP new age 625 . These fasteners have a calculated yield , if you exceed this stated yield you are stretching these fastener and effectively damaging them .

Im well aware of this. I'm quoting info directly from A1's directions in the box.

Post these pics as I too would like to see these "ARP" 14mm studs. Not calling you a liar at all there Tim, just would like to see these.

Joe

I wish i could post pics but unfotunantly, that would incrimanate me to be a guy that only knows half of what he is talking about.:bang:bang

They are 14mm but do not say ARP in the top. They are black and rusty and have a allen head in the top for install.:bang:bang I was wrong on the arp stamped in the top, but i also did read on Haisley's website that the A1 are now available with the hex head drive and they are the grey glassbead finish. The A1's in my 24v motor have no rust and no hex head drive. I have had the ones in my 12v almost 3 and a half years they were rusty right off the bat. I wasnt questioning that they were intended for a cummins, but maybe something my diesel shop custom put together from other applications. Anyway here is a picture, it is not very good but i still dont think they are A1.
So you all can see where i was atleast coming from but bring on the i told ya so's im ready. Im a tard, Tim

Attachments

• Picture1 045.jpg
    Picture1 045.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 42
Not a tard.. Just the wrong rodeo..

Thanks, not funny but thanks.:kick:

You see the pics though. They are deff. different studs though and the grey ones say A-1 and that led me to think the one set was ARP's. When i got home from work, i popped the hood to take pics and realized:doh: Tim

Back