Towing compound setup

97rada

I am starting to tow pretty heavy and it's taking its tole on me and the truck.
Truck has an hx40 on it now but it can get up to 1200 degrees pulling grades pretty easy and I need this engine to live. It's also pretty smokey and causing fuel in oil I think.
I have the 40. A new 35 and a 475/83/1.1 that I was going to make a set of compounds with 5x.016s. Has anyone ran anything like this. I think the 35 would give me better response then The 40. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I went from a 60mm single to a 62 over a 475 ( same size as what u were thinking), spoolup is quicker and way cooler egts
I don't think a small 35 will be good for u in that setup, compounds like to breath on the exhaust side

Having ran a 40/75 combo years ago, I would say to stick with the 40. The 1.10 and 83mm turbine wheel will spool pretty well.

If you do run the 35, I would run an external gate.
Chris

Having ran a 40/75 combo years ago, I would say to stick with the 40. The 1.10 and 83mm turbine wheel will spool pretty well.

If you do run the 35, I would run an external gate.
Chris

What fuel did you have. What kind of loads and Egts? Sounds like the 40 will stay

What fuel did you have. What kind of loads and Egts? Sounds like the 40 will stay

95, no plate, afc modded, 5x.014's, 3K GSK...made 535/1089 I think, been a long time ago, and lots of different chargers ago. Ran about 390-400 with the valet switch on.

Loads up to 50K lbs gross would run up to 1400* with a long pull, but usually ran around 1250-1300* with the cruise set on 70mph. If I wan under 40K it never even got close to that because I always ran with the Valet on.

I would highly recommend a valet switch...or a cam, that made the most difference in EGT's after I put that in. I switched back to a 58mm single and a cam at 398/1002 and she never towed better with ANY setup. If I ever setup another 12v to tow, it will be with that identicle setup if I can find that cam anywhere...
Chris

95, no plate, afc modded, 5x.014's, 3K GSK...made 535/1089 I think, been a long time ago, and lots of different chargers ago. Ran about 390-400 with the valet switch on.

Loads up to 50K lbs gross would run up to 1400* with a long pull, but usually ran around 1250-1300* with the cruise set on 70mph. If I wan under 40K it never even got close to that because I always ran with the Valet on.

I would highly recommend a valet switch...or a cam, that made the most difference in EGT's after I put that in. I switched back to a 58mm single and a cam at 398/1002 and she never towed better with ANY setup. If I ever setup another 12v to tow, it will be with that identicle setup if I can find that cam anywhere...

Chris

I have an AFC live unit that I am going to swap onto my tow truck so the valet switch should be good right there. Were you ever concerned with the engine cruising at those temps? I typically back out at 1250 or so. Doesn't get much higher

What else was done to the truck to tow that heavy? Anything special?

Nope, temps never got much above 200*

Air bags under the rear, nothing else I can think of. I didn't tow that heavy all the time, but it would if I had to. Usually was in the mid 30's. Needed better brakes.

Chris

Back