Towing twins

NYCEGUY01

Ok guys Ive read a ton of threads and I figured it might just be easier to ask.

I have a HTT HTBG ( 57mm ) currently on the truck. Im looking for the best turbo to hang underneath it.

Ive been looking for a HT3B/26 but now after all the reading I really have no idea if thats a good setup.

The little turbo just cant keep up on its own right now but does run pretty good. With a man. trans and 4.10 gears it seems to spool fast but Im building alot of heat.

Would the ht3b be a good setup ?? I think I read that the piers towing setup runs a K31 71mm ? should I be looking for something similiar to go with my s-300 ?
What about a s 300 with a 71mm wheel ????

Oh and I actually am a little sorry for posting up another one of these threads. lol

Tell us about your truck and what you do or want to do with it and the current and future mods!
The 3b will work and in many conditions work very well but is it "the best turbo" maybe......yes......no!

I think a BHT3B with either a 23cm or 26cm housing would work quite well. Are you using the truck mostly for towing or??? If you are towing a lot there is a GT42 with a wastegated exhaust housing brand new on E-bay that would work sweet in a towing setup.

Tell us about your truck and what you do or want to do with it and the current and future mods!
The 3b will work and in many conditions work very well but is it "the best turbo" maybe......yes......no!

Its a 96 Chevy 3500 4x4 Dually. Runnuig a 12v Cummins. 4500 trans, 4.10 gears.

This is first and foremost a towrig. I would like a little more go inbetween stoplights but would like to tow without fear of a meltdown.

Right now with the valet switch Its pretty safe but at full fuel it roals coal and builds lots of heat.

I think with a bigger single it would clear it up but I dont know if I would want to live with big laggy single on my towrig.

I have found a htb3 locally but it has a 20cm housing, Im thinking thats a little small. Would it be too restrictive ?? I think it would help it spool but if I spend all the time building this setup and Im still building too much heat Im going to be really pissed off. lol

The HT3B is the cheapest. You can get them brand new for a few hundred dollars. I would look for a 26cm exhaust though.

You can also look at a schwitzer S400. Those have a 75mm inducer. Many after-market options available. The thing I like about the S400 is that you can upgrade it in the future.. Bump up to 80mm.. Etc. That way if you decide to go with bigger twins in the future, you don't need an entirely new bottom turbo. Just upgrade the wheels, and add a bigger S300 variant on top.

The K31 is another great choice. There is a reason all of these companies offer these different turbos.. Each has its own benefit and own comprimise.

You can buy a 2/3 kit from Source Automotive that will have everything you need to hook up a S400:

http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/ind...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

You could buy that GT42 thats brand new for $300 which would work awesome for towing and then if you ever decided to upgrade because you wanted even more power the piping is already correct for an S-400, K-31, GT45.

And if you were to use a BHT3B you can get much larger compressor wheels put on them, I know they make a 77mm inducer version and if all S400's have the same size shaft then the BHT3B is bigger = less chance of breakage if you put a huge wheel on it.

I like the source auti kit but Im a tight ass. Most of the cost it seems in these kits is all the r&d and trial and error when building the piping etc..

Id like to use my top turbo I allready have and build all my own piping myself. Even if I bought a Kit Im gonna have to modify it for my application.

I just dont see how this is gonna cost over $1500 if I build it myself. I could be wrong but when I priced out the various bends, clamps and boots the total was under that amount. Of course Im not putting a price on my labor.

The best deal Ive found on a HT3B was from Pure Diesel at $499 for a new one. The one I found locally is new also but at $350 with the wrong housing I think that one is a no-go.
I plan to be under 500 hp as this truck must stay reliable. Its sitting at 385hp right now ( on Maddogs Dyno) and tows great and stays cool in valet mode.
I would like to use all the power Ive got with maybe a set of 1 size bigger sticks and keep it cool.

Thanks for the replies. Ill get this figured out soon I hope.

Wheres the best deal on a K31 these days ???

Ive been somewhat looking for one of those and kinda settled on the ht3b due to availability.

The HT3B is the cheapest. You can get them brand new for a few hundred dollars. I would look for a 26cm exhaust though.

You can also look at a schwitzer S400. Those have a 75mm inducer. Many after-market options available. The thing I like about the S400 is that you can upgrade it in the future.. Bump up to 80mm.. Etc. That way if you decide to go with bigger twins in the future, you don't need an entirely new bottom turbo. Just upgrade the wheels, and add a bigger S300 variant on top.

The K31 is another great choice. There is a reason all of these companies offer these different turbos.. Each has its own benefit and own comprimise.

You can buy a 2/3 kit from Source Automotive that will have everything you need to hook up a S400:

http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/ind...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

what does the source auto 2/3 kit consist of? entire kit to work with either stock turbo or s300?

Sweet link. Hes is gonna check it to be sure but Im pretty sure I just bought his last new Ht3b w/ 26 undivided housing for $275 + shipping.

Thanks Maxtorq

Wheres the best deal on a K31 these days ???

Ive been somewhat looking for one of those and kinda settled on the ht3b due to availability.

I can get you one just south of $800... can probably get you a package deal w/ flanges and such for a decent deal too :)

No problem, I usually can get K31's as well from them , but they are scarce sometimes.

You could buy that GT42 thats brand new for $300 which would work awesome for towing and then if you ever decided to upgrade because you wanted even more power the piping is already correct for an S-400, K-31, GT45.

And if you were to use a BHT3B you can get much larger compressor wheels put on them, I know they make a 77mm inducer version and if all S400's have the same size shaft then the BHT3B is bigger = less chance of breakage if you put a huge wheel on it.

Where is this $300 GT 42?

I ran a 3b.5 for awhile and while you can make big power with low egt's it is not what I would call street or daily driver friendly, I believe it has a 84 mm wheel in it.

Back