Toyota L series diesel

Indirectpower

Hi guys,

Wondering if anybody has ever tried to make some decent power out of these little motors?

I'm about to start building a 3L (2.8 litre 4 Cyl. IDI) for performance. Target is 300 rear wheel hp on diesel/LPG. Going to get it to spin to 6k rpm to make the power without bending rods! I'll list the mods I'm thinking for this build below, any advice or ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Custom I beam rods
Coated pistons
Thinking of cryo treating the crank, cam and rods
Bored .030 over
Fire rings
Girdle plate
45-60 PSI compound or VGT setup
Rotating assembly lightened and balanced to 7k rpm for head room above my expected redline.
Custom pump
Custom plenum/manifold
Water to air intercooler

I'm already running a fairly worked head on my current bottom end; ported and gasket matched, valve seats cut to the edge of the valve and raised 1mm into the head, throat cut and a reground cam for lifter clearance and better duration. I'll be dropping a set of precombustion chambers and stiffer or dual row valve springs in.

LPG usually accounts for 25% of the overall power, so straight diesel hp needs to be around the 225 mark at the rear wheels. Anybody seen something like this done? Even on a similar motor?

I would caution against LPG and IDI. Typically IDIs run higher compression. This will detonate the LPG sooner.

For a good comparison, see how the VW 1.6/1.9L guys do it. They drop 1 or 2 points compression and spin 5k.

I would go over to vwdiesels.net to read up some. A few guys are making 250hp on these little engines.

I do understand the risks of LPG. I have seen a few real world examples of 3Ls with high mileage and LPG fitted, and my valve work already decompresses the engine a little bit.

I was planning to introduce the LPG post turbo and in a boost referenced manner, possibly even using it as an "ignition advance" for the very top end of the rev range in conjunction with the pump settings. The primary aim of the system is to make smokeless power through more complete combustion. The added power is simply a bonus.

I've seen a few of the vw builds, I'll have to look more closely to see the tricks that make the high hp builds successful.

Back