Traction bars on a cr

MegaCabRam

How's the best way to attach them to the rear axel without welding on the axel tubes, the setup I have now has brackets mounted on the bottom of the shock brace but I need to move them over now to free up some space.

glacier diesel has a set that clamps to the axle. I have used them for a while now and they work and look good. they do hang down quite a bit, or you could look at their mount and make one

What are the down sides to welding to the axle tube? I have bars to install on my brothers 08 Dodge, and was plannig on just welding to the axle tubes. THANKS Steven

I know i can make it where the axel isnt going to move foward with just a brace around it but what im wondering is does it matter if the axel is twisting in that brace, as to where if it was welded it couldnt move, or does that even matter?

ive welded them on both my trucks... try using U-bolts to clamp it to the axle ive seen that done.

I welded mine on as well:

DSC01715.JPG

There is a whole thread on traction bars at the top of the sled pulling page (sticky)

BBD

these are welded on my buddies 03 but now the tubes are welded to the chunk dont forget to weld them this is how we fixed it lol
0830091804-00.jpg

never had any luck with the u bolt holding the axle tubing tight enough. You'll probably have to weld it

i tried clamping first before it became puller and never could get them to stay. just weld it and be done with it, save some headache

mine are clamped on the guy that did it made them look very professional. Have to get some pictures and put it on here. It's held 2 years of pulling and probably 60 hooks and 70,000 miles not a problem at all.

How come you don't want to weld them James?

I guess its no big deal really I had just thought that way I could take everything off but looks like welding will be the best option, anything I need to becareful with in welding to it? I would think you probably wouldn't wanna get stuff real hot

Just take your time on welding them and i wouldn't recomomend welding them solid at all at once, do some 1" beads here and there so that it doesn't try to cook the oil inside or warp the axle tubes. Also be sure to weld the tubes to the center section. Tack weld them in 4 places or more then weld between the tacks alternating between sides and different spots around the tube to keep from warping the tube alighnment on the center section aswell.... The center section is also cast so welding in different spots and allowing to cool will help keep it from cracking from the heat.

Back