traction help please

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
I was wondering what most of you are doing to control front wheel spin. I have a 05 3500 and I don't really want to put slicks all the way around or put a locker in that makes it any less of a daily driver. Any hints? The passenger front is the only one that doesn't spin.

Zach

Maybe just a wider tire? I run 33x13.50's and get a little bit of spin in 4wd at the track but nothing terrible. 1.5-1.7 60ft's depending on the track.

X2 for the ARB or throw some lock outs on there and weld it up.:evil

I was thinking I heard most of the FAST 4wd's took the lockers out of the front of their trucks, and it helped with control...

At least I thought I heard that...maybe I'm wrong.
Chris

Right now I run 265 toyo open country. It doesn't spin much if I leave a 2-3psi and does a 1.8 60ft. I tried leaving at 8psi and it spins the whole 1/4 except the front passenger. Would a taller tire help a bit? Is the arp ok for the street?
It runs 12.02 at 112 if I leave with 2psi any more and its a 5wheel smoke show.
I have melted track and rubber from my front tire all the way down the truck.

zach

ARB air lockers are fine for the street. They are just like a regular open diff untill you turn on the air to the locker and then it is locked like a spool. When you get to the end of the track just turn off the switch and it is back to an open diff like stock. You could also try running limiting straps to keep the front down and transfering all weight to the rear.

Joe

The ARP is an open diff. at the flick of a switch, so zero worries on the street.

Dumb question, but have you tried taking some air out of the tires?

I was wondering what most of you are doing to control front wheel spin. I have a 05 3500 and I don't really want to put slicks all the way around or put a locker in that makes it any less of a daily driver. Any hints? The passenger front is the only one that doesn't spin.

Zach

were you at the drag strip in san antonio on friday? there was a white dually there that had the same problem lol

yeah that was me.

I have bilsteins which are rock hard so yes on the shocks. The truck has stiffer springs up front and bilsteins all the way around as well as superlift ladder bars.
I am down to 45 psi in the rear and 55ish psi up front. Lower?

I might try the straps but it doesn't duck much now. It is looking like slicks or the locker. Has anybody had any steering problems under full power with a locker or slicks. I was almost into the wall friday and I don't want to make it any closer.

'05 3500 regular cab 4x4 2 inch leveling kit(superlift spring)

Zach

Right now I run 265 toyo open country. It doesn't spin much if I leave a 2-3psi and does a 1.8 60ft. I tried leaving at 8psi and it spins the whole 1/4 except the front passenger. Would a taller tire help a bit? Is the arp ok for the street?
It runs 12.02 at 112 if I leave with 2psi any more and its a 5wheel smoke show.
I have melted track and rubber from my front tire all the way down the truck.

zach

I am down to 45 psi in the rear and 55ish psi up front. Lower?

Air them down. I run 26psi in the rear and 30-31 psi in the front on my Toyo Open Country's (305/70/16). Put a limited slip in the front as well and that will help a lot.

55psi in the front is what i run daily:hehe: I would definately let some air of the front, I would let 10 pounds out, then go from there

I was able to pull a 1.55 60' in my Dodge with Toyo Open Country A/T's. I had 30psi in the front and 25psi in the rear. I launched at about 15psi and it hooked and went. Track prep is huge and it was prepped well for an even that day. I bet strapping the front would be the simplest way to shave down the 60'. I normally pull mid 1.6x.

How long are the ladder bars? Ladder bars, by design, translate axle wrap to lifting the front of the pickup. This will cause the front tires to "unload", and spin, or even worse go into tire hop. If you have the option lower the intersection point on the ladder bars, so that the intersection point is actually below the axle center line.

Personally I would disconnect the ladder bars, put spring clamps on the front of the rear springs, and give it a try. At the very least try disconnecting the ladder bars. Lowering the air pressure a little more would help too...

Paul

Air em down. Even if you spin off the line, you'll start getting traction back better downtrack, instead of just losing them for good.

Although kinda apples-to-oranges, my 2WD Dually has Bridgestone Desert AT Revo tires on back, and I air down to as low as 25 psi on crappy tracks. I've tried it as low as 22 psi, but it was a little wobbly that way!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Less air it is then. I will air the rears to 30psi and the fronts to 35psi and report back. If that doesn't help then it is time for a locker. The ladder bars are 6' long and intersect the frame just behind the door. It was fine until I put the TS lockup controller in there. It grabs at 20mph and lugs the engine down. The 6.7 torque pulls right through and starts tire spin. The TS controller works great.

Back