Tractor puller, 8.3 Cummins debored to 475 ci

Hall70

Tractor puller with S300 club turbo, with a 2.4" inlet, the exhaust housing had the numbers ground off from turbo supplier.
DATA that I do have is, BP of 50-55 psi, no DP data, I'm wondering if putting a wastegate on ex side to let out some of the dp, would it help with this much ci turning around 4000-4200 rpm to free up more power.
From my under standing the turbo is really small for this amount of Ci''s.

Hook up a drive pressure gauge and see what it is.
With that size engine, and rpms I could only imagine it's high.
At 55psi boost pressure with a non gated s300, on a 5.9 at 4000rpm, I bet drive pressure would be over 90lbs.

It seems having a wastegate would help the charger live, but idk if it would be optimal in a pulling application, unless you can maintain drive pressure and not fall under the charger as the chassis is hooked to the track, which may take some serious time to figure out exactly what’s needed per individual track type. Some on here have tried wastegates for pulling, most no longer run them.

Thanks for the replies, another thing I have noticed while watching the play back videos, is that as rpm gains say to around 3500 an up to 4200 the boost falls back to around 28-30 psi, then when the sled hits on the big end it jumps right back to 50-55 psi.
So this got me thinking that maybe the ex drive psi is backing up so bad it cant get out with the rpm i'm seeing ?
In this class the tractors are so heavy and hooked so good, they all pull the rpm down till most get under the turbo an some even kill the motors out.

I would guess you boost is dropping during the middle of the run as you're at full speed and the pan is up. Then the boost jumps when the pan hits and loads the engine back down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back