Tranny cooler line ports

duke1n

Banned
Plumbing in fan thermostat for the Derale cooler and having not been into one before I'm wondering is the output to cooler the front or rear port on the tranny? Thx

Looks that way... Figured dozens of people would know this off the top of their head. Just want to mount the thermostat and gauge coming out of the tranny not going in.

Putting it on the outlet of the tranny will just make your gage move more. It makes it more entertaining to watch, but in the pan or the port in the back passenger side works just as well, IMO.

the front port comes out of the tc, it is considered the hot line. that is where i had my temp sensor mounted. hope this helps. josh

I'd rather know actual temps at the hottest point in the system...outlet line is where I've got mine!

Let me see if I can find which port it is!

Chris

Cool thx guys. So forward port is outlet to the cooler? The fan cooler is back where the spare tire would be. I figured it would be better to mount the thermostat for the fan up on the outlet rather than back by the cooler at the back of the truck.

Front 1/4" NPT port is the 'hot' line coming from the tc. The rear 1/4" NPT port is the return line from the cooler(s).

EDIT: josh beat me. :bang:

brnaond.

Hey if anyone is looking for some stainless braided tranny lines give Eric at Vulcan Performance a call. They come with a check valve where the original one is and a spot for your temp. senders. He is also in the process of making a setup with a remote filter on it. I just installed a set on a truck the other weekend and they are awsome I had 5 guys in climbing under the truck asking me where I got them so I figure others might want to know.

Loud&Obnoxious said:
Hey if anyone is looking for some stainless braided tranny lines give Eric at Vulcan Performance a call. They come with a check valve where the original one is and a spot for your temp. senders. He is also in the process of making a setup with a remote filter on it. I just installed a set on a truck the other weekend and they are awsome I had 5 guys in climbing under the truck asking me where I got them so I figure others might want to know.
Pics? Is the price fall between $100 and 200, 200 and 300 or 300 and 400?

brnadon.

$250 for everything, with the tranny filter setup it will be $325. Trust me they look awsome. And if you want stainless braided fuel lines he can help you with that too. I didn't even think about taking pics., maybe I'll take a pic after I buy a set for myself.

That's interesting... the 1/2" stainless braided Russell lines I pieced together from Jegs cost $164 and change. That's 15' of hose, fittings, etc. Does it keep the stock rubber line at the front cooler or does his kit have the front cooler fittings in it?

brandon.

So do you have a hose fitting crimping machine? Everything is JIC hydraulic crimped fittings, do you have a check valve and a spot for your temp. sender in your lines? The kit uses the stock hose at the cooler but has barbed JIC fittings that you insert in the hose and clamp on. The only reason he kept the stock rubber at the cooler was to keep the kit easy to install. So did that $164 and change include shipping and your labor to measure out and build your kit and figure out what fittings you need to do the job?

Last edited:
:hehe: Calm down! I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything! LOL Yes, I have a check valve at the heat exchanger. Yes, I have a fitting in the hot line for the gauge sender. The reason I asked about the rubber lines was because that was the only difficulty I had installing mine and I wanted to see different options. I ended up buying an -8AN compression fitting that fit on the stock aluminum hardline on the front cooler and I wondered how everyone else was doing it. Yes the $164 included shipping because I stopped at Jeg's downtown and picked off their shelves. My labor's free since it's my truck and my hobby. At least that's what I keep telling myself. LOL

brandon.

I'm calm, I just don't want a good kit to get an expensive reputation when in reality its not that expensive. Most people would rather spend the extra $86 to have a pre assembled kit with no guess work.

Back