Tranny issues 97 powerstroke

CATmech945

My 97 has had an issue for awhile now going into drive from park. For a long time, I was able to either give it a blip on the gas or put it in reverse, let it engage and put it back in drive and it would go in. Now, it still goes into gear but slowly. I don't know if maybe it's something electronic but that's my hunch and if so, what is it? I've known it is an issue for sometime so shame on me for letting it go but any help would be greatly appreciated.:badidea::bang

-Aaron-

Sounds like you might have a pressure issue. Im no tranny guy but in a 92 I had I used some SeaFoam Trans tune and then changed the fluid. It started shifting better within 2 miles and when I changed the fluid it was very clean inside.

I appreciate the info...I'll definitely try the seafoam additive. I certainly don't think it could hurt anything at this point. I was wondering if it might be a sticky solenoid though, since all the input to the e4od is electrical. I'm certainly not a tranny guy either but it started shortly after having the transmission rebuilt and the shop I had it done at had closed it's doors when I tried to go back and have them check it out. I think the 92 used an AOD which was a mechanical setup using engine vaccum to engage and disengage but I could be wrong.:doh:

The 92 is an E4od same as the 97. on a 92 model the tranny computer is the only computer in the vehicle for an IDI engine.Try the seafoam but follow the directions. You will have to change you fluid.If it is a sticky solenoid the seafoam should take care of it.Hope this helps..

I'll give it a whirl for sure. I pulled the connection loose where the cable connects to the trans and cleaned the contacts. It seemed to go in and out of gear alright but we'll see next time i go to drive it. I went digging for an oil leak earlier today and opened up a whole new can of worms so it may be a week or so until i drive it again but I will try the seafoam as soon as I get it running again and let you know how it works. Thank you for your help.:Cheer:

Back