tranny not lockin up!

02smokemaker

Today on my way to work I noticed that my truck wasn't locking in od! Tried my lockup switch and nothing at all! shifts perfect. no codes or check engine lights. just doesn't lock up the torque inverter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It's an 02 2500 4x4

Yeah working fine! Everything is perfect except that! Tried cleaning bat terminals last night no difference. But when I did that it wouldn't shift out of 1st until I manualy went through the gears then it shifted fine the rest of night but still no lockup.

its common that the retainer on the valve body breaks and it will loose lockup. could be that.

do you have access to a real scanner? you can pull data and see if the lockup solenoid is working or not. if its coming on and not locking up that would be my bet. but its not to hard to drop the vb and check it out either

Im taling about the retainer for the boost valve. forgot to say that

yep, very very common. That was on a stock 02 with less than 100k on it.
Photo0382.jpg

do you have access to a real scanner? you can pull data and see if the lockup solenoid is working or not. if its coming on and not locking up that would be my bet. but its not to hard to drop the vb and check it out either[/QUOTE
No just a regular one cant check real time data with it.
Why you got one?:poke:

I dont think that I have bnew enough cards for mine. unless we can set it up as on older model, otherwise just at work. we could try mine though

yep, very very common. That was on a stock 02 with less than 100k on it.
Photo0382.jpg
Do you have to remove the valve body to change this? Just want to know for sure so I have all the parts I need before dropping the pan.
I ordered a upgraded hd retainer(for .75 cents) and all new solenoids. Might as well do it all when I'm in there!
got the modified 4l60e solenoid upgrade too.

yes valve body has to come down. once it is down its very easy. actually the whole thing is pretty easy. let me know if your doing it on the weekend or anything
oh and whats the deal with the 4l60 solenoid?

Prob gonna do it this sunday. If you wanna swing by that's cool. Yeah tranny's aren't that hard done a few,but couldn't remember if this one had to drop vb to get to that.LOL
The solenoid I a stock dodge housing that is modified to accept the more reliable gm electronics for the trans.

I got my bag of retainers today they sent me 5 hd units. So if anyone needs one pm me! will work for 42-46-47rh/re

So I dropped the vb today :bang The spring retainer wasn't broken but replaced with hd unit anyways! replaced all the electronics. and cleaned(not dirty at all) But the big FU is when I was lowering the vb two pieces fell off the top off it onto my head!
brokenband2.jpg

brokenband1.jpg

They look like wave spring pieces!:doh: But my dilemma is the tranny was shifting perfect and not slipping at all except od was not locking up! These couldn't have come from the od section in back case! This tranny has been rebuilt with all hp clutches and sutch by previous owner. There is no marks at all on top of vb or on any of the clutch components! So were these left in there some how just laying on top of vb? There doesn't seem to be any way where the wave springs are located that they could have just fallen down and done no damage! and where is the other big piece of what that whole spring should have. Looked for an hour and couldn't find any traces of marks dings or other pieces! So any ideas would be awesome!!! don't really want to pull tranny unless necessary P.S. No clutch material at all in pan,fluid nice and clean! no signs of anything wrong!

Back