Tranny options

diesel_ram_man

Looks like I am going to be taking ownership of a 1991.5 W250, currently getting a new body on it. Cant wait but anyways, i do know that the tranny is currently slipping, nothing crazy but is going to need rebuilt soon. And when i get it my goal is around 350-400 hp. Now what i'm wondering is what the most cost effective options for the 518 trans to hold that power. My thinking is i will do a stock rebuild, probably a Goerend tq converter, and a shift kit of some kind. Is that enough to hold the power? or is it going to need a little more of a performance rebuild? i wanna try and do as much of it my self to keep costs down. I know the best option is to swap in a 47rh but that just sounds like alot to do. Im only 18 and going to college. Luckily its a diesel college, i might beable to bring it in and do it. Thanks in advance.

What are you going to do with the truck? Daily driver, work-truck, racing?

Mostly daily driver, drive a couple hundred miles a week. But would like to race, or sled pull if need be.

I'd say upgrade the front planet to a 5 or 6 pinion steel.
I'm considering upgrading to a47rh if I can get one for the right price.
If not I'm going spec rite converter, high energy clutch packs, extra packs where the'll fit, upgraded bands, hd or billed 2nd gear band anchor, 6 pinion front planet, 4.2:1 apply lever maybe upgraded servos and of course a shift kit.

Back