Tranny Partial limp mode....WTF?

Rodram2002

OK, so I bought a Goerend TC and valve body about a year ago and the valve body has never worked correctly. I have talked several times with Goerend and all I ever get is, "It is what it is". No help from him what so ever now.

So, if I drive for long periods at 70+mph I get a partial limp mode. The truck will stay in 3rd, but I can manually shift down into 2nd. There is no 1st and I still have lock up. I the high line pressure, 190psi @ WOT, causing this when crusing for long times by overcoming the gov solenoid? I can't seem to get it to happen in the local area where I only drive 65mph max. Road trips where I reach 70+mph is the only time this occurs.

That's the first time I've heard anything like that about Dave. Do you have a resistor or Valve Body Assistant wired into the Pcm?

Yes I do. I have had lots of shifting issues with this valve body and have done every thing he asked me to to help in trouble shooting. He started to just tell me it is what it is and said he can't do anything about it.

Yes I do. I have had lots of shifting issues with this valve body and have done every thing he asked me to to help in trouble shooting. He started to just tell me it is what it is and said he can't do anything about it.

I suspect that there is a misunderstanding between you two on what Dave asked vs. what answer you gave him and/or what you understood.

Anyway, have the governor solenoid and pressure transducer been replaced?

I suspect that there is a misunderstanding between you two on what Dave asked vs. what answer you gave him and/or what you understood.

Anyway, have the governor solenoid and pressure transducer been replaced?

I was very clear with what I wanted from the tranny and Dave was very clear in the information he wanted for trouble shooting. I gathered the data he requested and would give it to him. No solution would be found and he would ask for more data. I would gather the data and give it to him and after several rounds of this he just told me it is what it is and he can't do anything about it.

Neither have been changed and I assume they would have been new when it was installed only a year ago.

I was very clear with what I wanted from the tranny and Dave was very clear in the information he wanted for trouble shooting. I gathered the data he requested and would give it to him. No solution would be found and he would ask for more data. I would gather the data and give it to him and after several rounds of this he just told me it is what it is and he can't do anything about it.

How familiar are you with transmission operation though?

The reason I ask is because in my experience there are a lot of things that people perceive as a problem which may not be one.

Neither have been changed and I assume they would have been new when it was installed only a year ago.

They probably were replaced when the tranny was rebuilt, but that doesn't mean that they are good. These two electronic pieces are the cause of a lot of 'transmission problems.'

OK, so I bought a Goerend TC and valve body about a year ago and the valve body has never worked correctly. I have talked several times with Goerend and all I ever get is, "It is what it is". No help from him what so ever now.

So, if I drive for long periods at 70+mph I get a partial limp mode. The truck will stay in 3rd, but I can manually shift down into 2nd. There is no 1st and I still have lock up. I the high line pressure, 190psi @ WOT, causing this when crusing for long times by overcoming the gov solenoid? I can't seem to get it to happen in the local area where I only drive 65mph max. Road trips where I reach 70+mph is the only time this occurs.

Do you still have OD? If you do I would say change the gov solenoid and transducer. If you still have Lockup, then the power trans relay is still energized so your not in computer limp. If you have LU and OD then I would suspect that the govenor solenoid is staying open, IE your not supplying a ground to it. So that puts you in 3rd gear, you will get manual 2nd, and if you go to neutral for a few seconds, you should be able to pull it directly to 1st and get 1st until you shift to second, then you have to go to neutral to get 1st again.

Do you havet he power trans relay jumpered or is the relay still in?

In dealing with all the issues I have had with this valve body, I have learned a great deal with the operation of the transmission and feel that I competent in the working of the 47RE.

Most of my shifting issues have been early shifting at light throttle and WOT. To put it simply, this valve body acts exactly like a stocker, but has higher, much higher line pressures and a little firmer shifts. WOT shifts are at 2700rpm. We have tried putting in different springs after Goerend gave up and I just run into the problem of no shifts at WOT. Putting in any stiffer springs makes the tranny just hold 2nd or 3rd gear at WOT until you let out some. Is this a possible problem associated with the Gov solenoid?

Yes, I still have OD and LU, so it is not a computer limp mode. The relay has been jumped.

In dealing with all the issues I have had with this valve body, I have learned a great deal with the operation of the transmission and feel that I competent in the working of the 47RE.

Most of my shifting issues have been early shifting at light throttle and WOT. To put it simply, this valve body acts exactly like a stocker, but has higher, much higher line pressures and a little firmer shifts. WOT shifts are at 2700rpm. We have tried putting in different springs after Goerend gave up and I just run into the problem of no shifts at WOT. Putting in any stiffer springs makes the tranny just hold 2nd or 3rd gear at WOT until you let out some. Is this a possible problem associated with the Gov solenoid?

Yes, I still have OD and LU, so it is not a computer limp mode. The relay has been jumped.

You have spent so much time on it, change the gove solenoid and sensor just to make sure just to eliminate them. Also put scanner on it, and check the gov pressure solenoid. What is your gov pressure doing it should be 1psi for 1 mph up to about 45 or so.

Why just 45mph? planning to troubleshoot mine if the zener diode doesn't fix it...

I hate to do this, but why would you modify something rather than finding and fixing the problem with what you have? To fix the over all problem it really should be the way it was when the problem started. (springs)

Why just 45mph? planning to troubleshoot mine if the zener diode doesn't fix it...

I hate to do this, but why would you modify something rather than finding and fixing the problem with what you have? To fix the over all problem it really should be the way it was when the problem started. (springs)

I am thinking that is the point when the govenor solenoid basically goes open. Also at that point most of the time we are in 3rd gear anyway.

Early shifts at light throttle could easily be a governor issue.

I am thinking that is the point when the govenor solenoid basically goes open. Also at that point most of the time we are in 3rd gear anyway.

Makes sense, since at 45 mph Dodge trucks are usually in OD and the TC has just locked up.

Ever put a scope on one to see what the solenoid is doing? That is something that I've been meaning to do, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Early shifts at light throttle could easily be a governor issue.

Makes sense, since at 45 mph Dodge trucks are usually in OD and the TC has just locked up.

Ever put a scope on one to see what the solenoid is doing? That is something that I've been meaning to do, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

No my tow vehicle is a stick, and the puller is an auto that I manually shift anyway. Years back a gentleman made a device that would modify the gov signal from the PCM to generate a tow/haul setting. I believe he is deceased and not for sure if the product is still available.

My gov pressure jumps about 1.5 to 2psi for every mph to about 35mph and then fully opens. My gov pressure has jumped fast with this valve body and my line pressure has always been high, 88-90psi in drive at idle and spikes to 201psi at wot and settles at 190psi. I have told Goerend of this and he said that he is ok with that and has nothing to do with my shifting issues.

If i was you i would call and tell dave how you realley feel, ask him to make things right by sending you a new vavle body. I have never had a problems with dave, If you cant get dave to work with you i would look a gov selonoid.

If i was you i would call and tell dave how you realley feel, ask him to make things right by sending you a new vavle body. I have never had a problems with dave, If you cant get dave to work with you i would look a gov selonoid.

I have asked Dave to do this very thing and have had the local vendor that I went through for the purchase ask aswell. Dave will not do it and gives them the same story of it is what it is and he cant do anything. The local vendor, Performance Athourity, has helped me try spring swaps and has been very willing to help. I will have to order a gov solenoid and see what it does.

Do you have a VBA, using a resistor, or a diode on the gov pressure sensor?

Just curious, as the VBA should take care of the limp issues and you shouldn't have to pullt he trans relay. Of course some trucks are different, must be a PCM software revision. Have you put a scanner on it while you drive? See what codes your getting.

I have the resistor that came with the vb. I have not used a scanner, but think I will here in the next few days to see what it brings up.

Seems this has made it's way to Goerend and he wants to give things anpther try now.

On my 47 if I run the voltage up to 4.9 it will hang shift 2-3 only, same if the TV cable has the arm bottomed out, back that off a tiny bit and set voltage at 4.6 and it's fine.

Jim

Back