tranny temp and sensor location

cumminspwr11

when i was putting my tranny back in after a rebuild i decided to rig up a tee and bung so i could move my sensor from the gov. test port to the hot side cooler line

first off the tranny used to run about 180* easy or hard driving around town, now it heats up about the same but if im driving easy and at a stop light the temp will be around 165-170* and as i accelerate easily it will heat up to 185-190* fast and i soon as i lock the tc and cruise at 50mph the temp will drop back down to 160*, if i drive it hard to will just keep heating up past 200*

is this normal for the sensor location or im kinda wondering if my single disk tc is at its end?

The governor test port seems like a strange place for a temperature sensor. It's about as high as you can put it on the case, is it not? I would imagine the temperature would remain pretty consistent in that location.

The best place for the temp is in the pan. That's what fluid is going back into the trans. The hot line out of the TC is going to always read hot. Especially when in fluid coupling and not running locked.

Where at in the pan is the best place to drill for the sensor?

I run my sensor on the hot out line before the coolers, that way I know how hot the fluid is getting.

In my experience running the sensor on the return line always read 150-170* F because the heat exchanger raises or drops the tranny fluid to engine coolant temp and then the air -to- air cooler in front drops it a few more degrees depending on speed and outside air temp.

I want to know the outlet temp because when it hits 200+, the fluid starts to scorch a little and the factory cooler is good enough that I would never know and might drive it another 5K miles before I checked the fluid. By that time, the damage would already be done.

Back