trans brake

Will a tranny brake hold with all the torque that our engines can put out?

diesel charger, what thtat thing run ya ? thoughts opinions on it ?

ok found it on there site, but does not list price.... so I grabbed the description off the site :

Trans Brake

Price: Call for more info. and pricing.

A transbrake is a modified valve body to put the trans into first gear, and reverse gear at the same time. This is controlled by supplying 12 volts or a ground to a solenoid. As long as power is supplied to the valve body the vehicle will not move. This allows the engine to be brought up to a higher rpm than what is possible when "foot brake" racing. Test have shown about 1000 RPM's higher than a foot brake stall. When the brake is engaged, there is no torque being applied to the driveshaft, so the suspension is also in an unloaded state. When electrical current is removed from the brake, the reverse component of the trans is released, and torque is applied to the driveshaft very abruptly. This will hit the tires harder, more like what a manual transmission does when the clutch is dumped. It is also the preferred method of controlling when the truck launches when using delay boxes and other modern drag race electronics. However this will put even more stress on the drivetrain. Sometimes we call it a Trans Break! it will find a weak link.

The hold part is not the problem ,it is what happens after the release of the button. I did not have any problems leaving at 12 to 15 psi but 25psi it broke the pinion.The stahl increased at least 1000 rpm and 20psi but the hit is violent and if you are using the trans brake to build boost it will be hard to stage because you cant inch your way into the beams. I hope this helps .

Yes the drawback of a transbrake is that the driveline is left unloaded. When you foot brake, your basically taking up all of the slack int he driveline.

works by engagin the reverse gear at the same time as first, nothing to do with the brakes, or parking brake for that matter. when you release, the reverse is dissengaged and first is left to haul ya down the track witha never seen b4 60 foot time.

Stall speed does not increase, you are just able to reach true stall with a trans brake. This is pretty much the only way you will able to test true stall as you'll likely never reach it by just using the brakes.

Brake stall is not the same as true stall.

Using a brake would likely be a good way to use a tighter converter that offers better fluid coupling yet stalls high enough to build boost. Then people wouldn't have to rely on the TCC so much. Unfortunately, trans brakes aren't allowed in a lot of classes.

Stall speed does not increase, you are just able to reach true stall with a trans brake. This is pretty much the only way you will able to test true stall as you'll likely never reach it by just using the brakes.

Brake stall is not the same as true stall.

Using a brake would likely be a good way to use a tighter converter that offers better fluid coupling yet stalls high enough to build boost. Then people wouldn't have to rely on the TCC so much. Unfortunately, trans brakes aren't allowed in a lot of classes.

The only problem with the tight converter/transbrake theory is that you have to be able to come up on the turbo REAL quick. I think a VGT turbo or nitrous is the only way you're going to be able to bump into the beams and still hit a good light on a pro tree.

The only problem with the tight converter/transbrake theory is that you have to be able to come up on the turbo REAL quick. I think a VGT turbo or nitrous is the only way you're going to be able to bump into the beams and still hit a good light on a pro tree.

I'm not talking super tight, just tighter than what you might otherwise be able to run in a foot brake car.

What you are talking about is an issue that plagues more than just turbo diesels. Getting a good converter makes all the difference in a turbocharged application, and I'm not talking about who makes it, but what parts are in it. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it right.

Yes the drawback of a transbrake is that the driveline is left unloaded. When you foot brake, your basically taking up all of the slack int he driveline.

I've had dragracer (muscle car) guys take that fact as positive logic, reasoning that when the torque is suddenly applied to the rear axle it causes the rear suspension to push down and allow for a much better launch than when the torque is suddenly applied to just the tires.

True? I don't know, makes sense to me though.

I've had dragracer (muscle car) guys take that fact as positive logic, reasoning that when the torque is suddenly applied to the rear axle it causes the rear suspension to push down and allow for a much better launch than when the torque is suddenly applied to just the tires.

True? I don't know, makes sense to me though.

Yes, depending on your suspension set-up, you could get BETTER traction with a harder hit. Unfortunately (as I have learned from hundreds of trans brake passes) this harder hit takes its toll on drivetrain parts. My gasser car (tube chassis, ladder bar Vega) runs nearly identical ETs (including 60' times) between 5500 rpm trans brake launches and 2800 rpm foot-brake launches. The big difference is that on the footbrake it just skims the front tires off the ground (looking more like a pro-stock car) while on the trans brake it pulls a big wheelstand (like a stock-class car).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

But if you tuned the chassis for the t-brake surely your car would pick up some decent ET over foot braking? When I had my '98 Camaro the difference between footbraking and the t-brake was night and day. But I did have a super tight stall for a big hit of nitrous, so footbraking was near impossible with it.

I think part of the reason mine does so well on the foot brake is the loose converter, which flashes to about the same RPM whether foot braking or trans braking. The big difference is in vehicle reaction time (from the time my body reacts until the car clears the stage beam). I'm sure I could gain some 60' on either foot or trans brake if I optimized the set-up for one or the other, but I like the fact that it works pretty well with either one. On a decent track I run 1.29-1.30, and it still runs 1.32-1.33 on a slippery track with some tire spin.

But the t-brake is so much more fun! Minus the broken parts, don't miss those.

Back